cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couldn't unsync to my computer so I had to delete my entire account

Couldn't unsync to my computer so I had to delete my entire account

BMcCallum
New member | Level 2

Hello All,

I have used Dropbox for years and it has always been very easy to use. I recently went to do some reorganizing and downloaded the app onto a computer that didn't have DB. It automatically backed up the computer (not the whole thing, there were at least 50 gigs of info so it apparently picked 2 GBs? I don't know), and then when I went to delete files off of DB online, it deleted them off of my PC. I swam around in the app and online trying to figure out how to unsync the PC so that I could delete files on DB I don't want but couldn't figure it out so I just deleted my account completely.

I am a prof and I work on multiple computers but need access to the same files on each computer. I was able to do this a few years ago at a different job and it worked seamlessly: DB would let me download the app to multiple computers and select certain folders or documents I wanted on DB and I could get access to those folders/documents on either computer (as could my clients and colleagues when I shared) but now that doesn't seem to be the case? 

I only want to use this DP account for my school documents so that I can access them in real-time from my office or my home computers. Is this even possible any more? If not, I will be looking for a new cloud app, which is a shame.

1 Reply 1

Re: Couldn't unsync to my computer so I had to delete my entire account

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @BMcCallum; welcome to the Community and sorry to hear you had issues with this.

It seems that you enabled the computer backup feature upon installing the desktop app on your computer. 

This feature is not to be confused with our core feature which is syncing (any files you copy or move inside your Dropbox folder when our desktop app is running) and can be disabled using these steps

I hope this helps to some extent and please let me know if you have any more questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?