Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: How do I customize folder icons in Dropbox for OSX?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @jimsky7

If the app isn't running please create a ticket with us here, tag me and provide me with your ticket number. This way I can follow up to check your syncing issue via email. 

Thank you all for your feedback on custom icons in this discussion.

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey all, hope you're all well!

Just to clarify, @janobonano and @darboscalante, at the moment custom folder icons can't be applied to shared folder as they will revert back to the Dropbox overlay for shared folders.

That being said, this should only apply for the top level of the shared folder. The folders within are just like other regular folders, which you can apply a custom icon to without it being overwritten by a Dropbox folder icon.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions about this.

Daphne

Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

Not trying to be cranky, however there is no option to create a 'ticket' at that address. Can do chat or can set up email request. So I selected email request. Confirmation arrived saying my 'ticket' is 9979845 so I guess that's what you intended. Ah, I see this is a zendesk instance, which I have used, so I know how it works from here on.

However, don't know what you mean 'tag me.' 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks @jimsky7. Found your ticket!

Getting back to you there with troubleshooting steps now. 

You can tag someone, typing "@" and then their username. This sends them a notification about your comment in the Community.

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

It appears that also the folder icon of the top Dropbox folder cannot be changed anymore. This is an esthetic „no go“ as it will show as the only folder icon in one’s home directory which is out of line. Why does Dropbox try to force standard folder icons upon us? Do the developers at Dropbox not understand, how important it is for customers to customize their folder icons?

This observation applies to macOS and Dropbox version 89.x.y.

If Dropbox continues to break operating system features for the sole sake to enforce a strange, and imho misguided, rule of appearance, I will cancel my subscription. I did not purchase an apple computer to get the superior esthetics and customizability of its GUI be sabotaged by an application which ignores such basic rules. A few years ago, Dropbox could have got away with this, but meanwhile there are plenty of other cloud syncing solutions available which do not meddle with general customizability of the operating systems GUI in such a way. 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Are there any plans to fix this so we can have a custom icon for shared folders again? It's really frustrating when a useful feature is taken away. It used to work, now all my client folders look the same.

Highlighted

After Sync dropbox changes my desktop icon in Mac

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I followed the steps described here to change my dropbox folder for a nice personalized one,  but after restarting my Mac  dropbox changes it for the regular one. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?