cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB 83.4.152 not syncing after macOS Catalina install

DB 83.4.152 not syncing after macOS Catalina install

Paul D.62
New member | Level 2

I use Dropbox on a MacBookPro. After I installed Catalina, most Dropbox files show the blue icon of being synced and Dropbox reports "Checking for changes" hour after hour. I would like to know whether this is a massive resync due to Catalina or whether I have a problem here that I need to address. 

I've been running Dropbox on my Mac via a Dropbox folder on my hard drive. I don't selectively sync; I don't sym folders; I only access Dropbox via my finder and not via the web app; and I don't change settings. I have about 600,000 files and I don't have trouble accessing them and Dropbox runs in the background. I install Catalina and it appears that everything needs syncing but nothing is being synched. 

Also, for some documents, the pull-down menu from the tray reports that the document is synced. However, when I use Finder to look at my Dropbox folder, and I look for that document, the document has a circle with the two arrows. Why?

None of the circles with two arrows are moving other than the sync circle in the Dropbox window in the tray. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: DB 83.4.152 not syncing after macOS Catalina install

chrisacam
Collaborator | Level 8

FIXED!!!!

Catalina has a raft of new security features and steps you have to go through in order to allow free movement of files etc.

I fixed all my problems by going to:

System Preferences>Security & Privacy>Privacy - Select Full Disk Access from the left and ensure that the Dropbox App has it's box ticked (you will need to click the locked padlock at the bottom of the window to put a tick in the box.

Voila! It's a shame Dropbox support didn't make that simple suggestion a week ago!

Chris

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Walter
Dropboxer

Hello Paul; welcome to the Dropbox Community!

At first, note that the re-syncing of your files is normal and most likely expected when you update your computer's OS. 

Moving on to your concern now, just to make sure we're on the same page, could you forward me a screenshot of the desktop app's exact status as shown within your menu bar?

In addition, while it's true that the performance of the desktop app can decline if you have more than 300,000 files synced to your computer, this is merely a soft limit and depends highly on the hardware specifications of the computer running the app. Some customers can sync way more files without issue.

Lastly, you mentioned that you're not symlinking any folders - right? I'd still suggest that you consulted the following resource as it addresses the most common causes for high CPU usage. I know it's not related to the matter at hand directly but I think it may help in this case: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/high-cpu-usage

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. Thank you in advance @Paul D.62!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

chrisacam
Collaborator | Level 8

Walter this is a serious App issue affecting many more Dropbox users each day, just look at the numerous forum posts.

There is a permissions problem since Catalina on Mac which is affecting sync and nothing to do with the number of files in an account.

Files which have been syncing fine for years are now failing to sync unless re-uploaded via the web. I have done may tests over the last week as I wasn't getting much help from Dropbox Support staff and can confirm that if I use Windows or any browser to upload to my dropbox account, files sync back to my Mac ok.

However, if I move files or folders on my Mac to my Dropbox folder via Finder in Catalina, they don't.

Initially this was ALL my existing files after upgrading to Catalina, they just displayed the red failed status icon and Dropbox refused to complete the sync process, instead just running the Mac flat out attempting to sync but never getting there.

Having tried numerous solutions offered via forum users without success, including uninstalling and reinstalling the App, I deleted my files and re-uploaded via the web, and once they synced back to my Mac, all seemed ok. But that solution was short lived!!

The reason why I think it's permissions related is because after the initial re-sync, it now seems to relate to particular files not necessarily created in my user account, so for example files emailed to me, or downloaded from the internet.

If Finder is used to get them into Dropbox, they don't sync and display a red status icon. But if uploaded via the web or through the Windows App, they sync fine.

There are numerous improved security features included in Catalina, which perhaps the Dropbox developers have been caught out by?

It needs someone who is not just going through the stock support suggestions to give this some serious attention as it's biting people on the backside right now.

chrisacam
Collaborator | Level 8

FIXED!!!!

Catalina has a raft of new security features and steps you have to go through in order to allow free movement of files etc.

I fixed all my problems by going to:

System Preferences>Security & Privacy>Privacy - Select Full Disk Access from the left and ensure that the Dropbox App has it's box ticked (you will need to click the locked padlock at the bottom of the window to put a tick in the box.

Voila! It's a shame Dropbox support didn't make that simple suggestion a week ago!

Chris

View solution in original post

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update Chris - I was about to say something along those lines but you beat me to it. 

I was going to say that it looks like your Dropbox files and folder have their permissions set incorrectly and give you the terminal commands you can run to fix this. You can look below for context if needed :wink:

Spoiler

1) Stop the Dropbox desktop application (if needed)

• Click on the Dropbox icon.
  • Choose Quit/Stop/Exit

2) Open your Terminal

3) Copy and paste the following lines into the Terminal, one at a time, and press RETURN after each one ensuring that you copy and paste these commands (don't type them by hand), as getting them wrong could cause some harm. You'll be prompted for your computer user's password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command. Keep in mind that the password field in the terminal will remain blank as you type your password. After you type it, just press ENTER. You'll know that these instructions complete normally once the prompt comes up again:

sudo chflags -R nouchg ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox

sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"

sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox

sudo chmod -RN ~/.dropbox ~/Dropbox

chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox

Please note that once the prompt displays, the instruction completed the requested task, and is ready for the next command. If the command returns an error, or does not respond after an hour, you may want to try restarting your computer and try these steps again.

In any case, I'm glad you were able to resolve your concern in the end and I appreciate the time you took to keep us in the loop. Let's see if that also helped @Paul D.62!

Thank you for your vigilence @chrisacam!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mymgraphics
Explorer | Level 4

This only works if your files are saved on the local hard drive. Mine are on an external drive so I get an unknow command when I try to enter the commands into the Terminal.

mymgraphics
Explorer | Level 4

Lucky! Did not work for me. I even changed my permissions for the Hard Drive containing the Dropbox folder and still no luck. If I quit the app and relaunch it, then it all syncs!Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 9.01.35 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-23 at 8.41.28 AM.png

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @mymgraphics; sorry for the late reply. Are you still having issues with this?

In case you do, as I'd really like to help as much as I can, could you provide some additional information such as which exact commands you're referring to and what is the exact error you get when performing them?

Thanks! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?