cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB UI flickering in macOS Mojave running in parallels

DB UI flickering in macOS Mojave running in parallels

Simon A.4
Helpful | Level 6

Hi guys,

recently I took the chance and installed an older macOS version for two of my 32bit application that no longer run on the newer macOS versions. To acces needed files I installed DB on the emulated OS and even in the installing process the interface was flickering like hell. After going throgh the installation process I was finally able to acces the settings in the app, this video shows how that went off. Is there any known issue with emulated systems not supporting some kind of DBs UI tech stack?

I found nothing in the community so far, just a similar problem with an ubuntu distribution running DB with the flickering problem but it was a bit different from what I see here.

Any ideas?

Best

Simon

4 Replies 4

Re: DB UI flickering in macOS Mojave running in parallels

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Simon A.4, thanks for taking the time to message us!

I've not heard of any specific issues with virtual machines regarding flickering.

However, there is a possibility that the graphical settings in the VM can prevent parts of the Dropbox desktop application from rendering at all, so it might be worth checking those settings to see if they can be changed and improved for the emulation.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Simon A.4
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Jay,

as I did not change any of the standard values here and no other application behaves different I'd require more assistance, as I do not know what setting would have an influnce on the flickering.

This is my graphics settings and CPU pane in Parallels:Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-02 um 10.41.10.pngBildschirmfoto 2020-11-02 um 10.41.18.png

Jay
Dropboxer

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with VM software, and seeing as this is only experienced when inside that service, it does seem like it could be affecting the Dropbox desktop application somehow. Perhaps another user has experienced something similar when using Parallels.

The only thing that I am aware of is to ensure that the host attempting to view Dropbox is configured for 32 bit color, as this was the cause of not being able to view the app in a remote session/VM.

I'll leave this thread open for other users to comment their suggestions here!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Simon A.4
Helpful | Level 6

I looked into the color depth hint and found out that macOS limits the display (in my case built-in Retina display) to 24bit anyway. So it must be something in parallels, the DB UI on my native running OS doesn't do any sorts of flickering, it never did. But I can't find any setting in Parallels that lets me edit my setting for color depths of my virtual machines. If this affects this problem at all...

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-03 um 14.55.23.png

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?