cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DbxSvc ID 320

DbxSvc ID 320

safix01
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

In Event Manager, every second it shows " Failed to connect to the driver: -2147024894, retrying in 1000 milliseconds¨ ID:320 (DbxSvc).

Is there an update error or something else? Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi all,

First: Many apologies for the delay in jumping in here, I wanted to make sure I had a concrete update for you all.

So, for context: What is Dbxsvc? :

I've added a section to the help center article: https://www.dropbox.com/help/business/smart-sync (I say section, it's more of a note at the bottom under the driver FAQ).

The file dbxsvc.exe is a file that we use to install the Smart Sync driver. Should you not be a business user, or not have Smart Sync, then this file will never start operating. It is, however, created at install for all users so if you are not a Smart Sync this file will still appear there.

I see we have a number of pretty interesting, creative suggestions on how to disable, coupled with queries if it's safe to disable it. I'm of course not going to endorse a process that disables part of our software, should a feature or functionality cause user pain then we would want to know. Fixability and timeframes can vary depending on the in-depth technical nature of the problem.
Should you decide to disable it with one of the solutions here, it will prevent the smart sync feature from working in some cases. We need the service to update the driver, as well as to establish new driver<->client connections. This is the services current functionality. Additional functionality could be added over time. My main concern around anyone disabling it is that in the future you may need this process, Smart Sync won't work correctly, you can reach out to support but this custom change you've made will be hard for us to diagnose as the root cause of whatever issue you experience.

Why is it failing to connect / what's going wrong?:

It should be failing to connect. This is by design, the actual issue you’re facing is due to the frequency we're writing to the logs. To address any concerns around error with the application, these errors are in no way indicative of a software issue and do not point to any issues with backing up you data. Because it fails to connect, Windows treats this as a trigger to write to the log. Your data is safe, this process is just used to install a driver. As covered in the above section we expect it to do what you are seeing.

With that in mind, we understand that some of you do wish to see this behaviour.

Why aren't we fixing this?:

We are, we take our user feedback very seriously and we have spent many hours working on this. As fixes have many dependencies, and are just one components of a version release, I'm always reluctant to jump onto a thread and give a firm release date for a fix as these are regularly subject to change.
You may have noticed that we took the original connection attempt frequency down from every 1 second to every minute. This was an improvement we took onboard based on the feedback you've supplied here and also via other channels. Our new release, 31.3.15, has further improved this, the process will run 3 times daily. This should reduce the errors written to the logs and not clutter the report.

The new beta version is the first to include a fix:

View solution in original post

27 Replies 27

philc43
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes, I too have literally thousands of these entries swamping Event viewer.

safix01
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've found something to resolve this problem but only up to restart 😞

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/178422-Event-Viewer-ID-320?p=1072991&viewfull=1#post...

larrymcg
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Well, I think your suggestion fixes the symptoms but does nothing to solve the underlying problem.
Hopefully the DropBox people will fix the underlying problem soon. It is good to have the once-a-second event messages stopped though!
-- Larry

Joe C.13
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I noticed my computer was lagging very bad. So after a little bit I checked out computer management > windows logs > application. 

In there I see the dropbox "dbxSvc" service creating multiple error logs per second. All giving the below error. As soon as I shut down the service, my computer is no longer laggy. Does anyone know why this is happening? I had this error a couple weeks back when I was on the beta, and have since switched to stable and still get the error. 

"Failed to connect to the driver: -2147024894, retrying in 1000 milliseconds"

whatnot2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
It's appalling that this issue hasn't been resolved yet in the release build. I work in software development - and I would fire the dev who originally wrote this code.

safix01
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It's really terrible. No developer has reacted yet. The problem still persists ... I don't know exactly where should I find the latest version ? I have version 29.4.20...:(

Techsys
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Every second in the Application Log on Windows 10, I see:

----------

Source: Dbxsvc

Event ID: 320

Failed to connect to the driver: -2147024894, retrying in 1000 milliseconds

----------

I see a reference to this SAME error from a Windows 7 user (from who knows how long ago) and it STILL isn't fixed. Really?! This is ridiculous.

Apparently, filling up the Application Log is of no concern to Dropbox so I guess I'll uninstall it and go without the desktop app.

I'll also instruct my people to remove it from all clients in the Houston area because the desktop app is broken. I can't have everyone's logs filling up with nonsense. They'll just have to use the web interface.

Starkad
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I am also getting this error on 5 different machines now. It's been ongoing for weeks. Can this *PLEASE* be looked in to, Dropbox? It is severely impacting machine performance for me.

delmain
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
This is affecting me as well. I'm trying to diagnose a different issue that involves waiting for intermittent issues and reviewing the event log and since it's just filled with DbxSvc entries, this is proving difficult.

Can we please at least get an update that y'all know what's going on and are trying to fix it?

I see bn replied in the other thread about this issue (the one that was originally about it being an Error instead of Info and was necro'd for this issue), but this is definitely a new thing and needs some looking into.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Crumb93 New member | Level 2
    Server_Align Collaborator | Level 10
    ner0 Helpful | Level 5
    mmillennial New member | Level 2
    pcrockcx New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?