cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DbxSvc ID 320

DbxSvc ID 320

safix01
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

In Event Manager, every second it shows " Failed to connect to the driver: -2147024894, retrying in 1000 milliseconds¨ ID:320 (DbxSvc).

Is there an update error or something else? Thank you!

27 Replies 27

safix01
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, if you don't stop this bug in the command line, you do not have a chance in the event manager to find what you need. It looks like a failed "while cycle" . I don't understand that nobody said anything about it?!

whatnot2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

If you log into your DropBox account, go to settings and then tick the box for "Include me on early releases", then you can update your dropbox client to version 30.3.17, which only writes to the event log ever 30 mins..

safix01
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
that's not much better solution 😄 but thank you. Why that's not still resolved?

delmain
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Here's the thing... why is it being logged regularly into the Event Log anyway? 

It's not something that's very likely to change over time, seemingly, so why is it not just logged once on service startup and then not looked at again until then?

swinster
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have to say the same thing is occuring here. We rely on being able to read the Windows log for many reasons and filling them up in this manor means that we need to remove the client. We pay fo Dropbox Work and the client allows us, well, all the benifits the client bring, but this issue make it unteanble to operate. 

Please look at this as a mater of urgency.

DemianLucis
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Same here. 

Every second since this version, piling now 83k logs. 

edgar76
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

84K and counting, this is ridiculous

DemianLucis
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

According to this post the Dropbox Service can be disabled as it seem to have no effect on the syncing capabilities of the softrware. I have done this just now, w/o negative effect. But I would be careful here.

GlenGordon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

For anyone who might care about more of the technical details of what's going on, I may be able to add a few puzzle pieces.

I did some looking around in 

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\driver_amd64"

and in particular at the dbx.inf file that's used for installing dbx.sys and the dbx_svc.exe service for controlling it.

The dbx.sys driver is a Hierarchical Storage Manager filter driver which my limited Googling reveals is related to sending and retrieving seldom used files to/from slower/offline storage.

There's code in dbx_svc.exe to start/stop the  dbx.sys driver (FilterLoad/ FilterUnload calls).

At least on my system, the driver is never started (perhaps it's supposed to be started conditionally) but then the dbx_svc.exe unconditionally trys to communicate with it.

I now feel very comfortable stopping the dbx_svc service discussed in other answers but also changing the start type of the service to Disabled which should keep it from starting the next time I boot. (Let's hope there isn't some other Dropbox process that has the privileges to change the start type back to automatic.)

Ender_Li
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Me too.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Crumb93 New member | Level 2
    Server_Align Collaborator | Level 10
    ner0 Helpful | Level 5
    mmillennial New member | Level 2
    pcrockcx New member | Level 2