cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Decryption fails running iOS 14.2

Decryption fails running iOS 14.2

JohnK2
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Just updated iPhone and iPad to iOS 14.2. Now, trying to open an encrypted file, it tell me "Decryption Failed. Null" If I open with Excel, it works fine. Anyone else having this issue?

259 Replies 259

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for joining us here @bec3116 and @tflynn!

When you have the chance, please check out this post and let me know if you have any trouble with this.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ITGuy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Everyone,

I have found that it matters not the medium from which you download/upload/access the file(s) and/or have the file(s) stored.

We're running into the exact same issue using the Microsoft Teams App on an iPhone with version 14.2.

IOS version 14.2 has caused the issue to not be able to open *passworded* files (Word, Excel, etc.); non-passworded files open fine.

(NOTE: IOS devices prior to version 14.2 still works no matter the medium of download/upload/access).

Chrisl1208
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Same issue since I updated my iPhone!

ITGuy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The Excel Workbook will not open if it is passworded. Receive the same "decryption failed <null>" error message.

JohnK2
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Excel and Word both work for me. Just Dropbox won't open an encrypted file. So, I click on the "open" button after I get the "Decryption Failed" and it takes me to Microsoft Word or Excel.

ltx
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hello everyone, you will probably get better support from the Apple forums like: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252020203. Seems like someone was able to open a case for this exact issue from Apple. Another mention saving the file in the older 1997-2003 format works, but I have not tried this.

Hopefully a fix will be made sooner than later. The workaround right now is to install Microsoft Word/Excel apps on your iPhone so that you have the option to open those password protected files from dropbox when decryption fails. An blue “Open” button appears at the bottom of the file and clicking this will take you through to the Word/Excel apps. You will have to enter your password again in the apps, but this will allow you to access the file successfully.

I can assume from reading other posts here that the reason that we cannot open/create a ticket for dropbox to even investigate is because we have a basic plan and dropbox will not help us without a ticket. Thank you all for reporting having the same issue to try and help us make the case even though Dropbox seems to have not taken the next steps to investigate further due to lack of ticket. We did our job reporting it.

marinad515
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hi John. I have the same error message while opening Excel files with my IPhone 11 after installing new updates . How did you fix this problem?

JohnK2
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
Really don’t know what to tell you. In Excel or Word, I’ve always been able to open encrypted files. My problem, after upgrading to iOS 14.2, I can’t open them in Dropbox, where they are stored. I simply switch to Excel or Word and sign in my password.

NicoQu
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Same problem, also with Excel files in Google Drive.
So I think this is a Apple problem.
Hopefully they get this fixed soon 🙂

JohnK2
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Here's more breaking news for everyone. Just downloaded Big Sur to my Mac and guess what? Dropbox is gone! You have to re-download the Dropbox app, then it works again. I have the feeling that Apple and Dropbox hate each other!

Need more support?