cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Decryption fails running iOS 14.2

Decryption fails running iOS 14.2

JohnK2
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Just updated iPhone and iPad to iOS 14.2. Now, trying to open an encrypted file, it tell me "Decryption Failed. Null" If I open with Excel, it works fine. Anyone else having this issue?

259 Replies 259

TelveddevleT
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just so everyone knows - this isn't a dropbox issue but rather an IOS issue as it is happening on my OneDrive encrypted files too.  Just letting you know.

Kritzstew
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Try saving a copy of the file.  Save the copy in Dropbox from excel or word app.  Then go to Dropbox and try opening the copy you just saved.... it worked for me.  I then deleted the original and renamed the copy.

Howie_nl
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

After iOS 14.2 I have the same error in Excel and Word password protected documents

Error only on my iPhone and iPad but my Macbook isn't an issue at all.

Apple has to fix this I guess.

Martz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Yup, just noticed the same issue today.  I ordered a couple iPhone 12's, they came with iOS 14.2 installed.  I also have an iPhone 7 that now has 14.2 installed and an iPhone 11 with iOS 13.6 installed.  I've done a few tests, as follows:

1. Took an old password protected Excel file that I have been successfully opening for months on my iPhone 7 when it was running iOS 13.x.  Using my iMac, I attached it to an email and emailed it myself.  I then opened it on my iPhone 12 running 14.2 and it asked for my password like normal but after entering it and tapping Go, I got the blank white screen with Decryption Failed (null).

2. I then sent that same file to my iPhone 11 running 13.6 and it opened just fine, just like always

3. I then sent both phones (11 & 12) an unencrypted Excel file and it opened just fine on both

4. I then Opened Microsoft Office Updater on my iMac and updated to their latest level, hoping that would work but no, it didn't make any difference at all.

5. I then called Apple and was told its a compatibility issue that Microsoft owns.  Yes I suppose it could be that Microsoft has not yet combed through their software to ensure full compatibility with iOS 14.x but I sorta found that hard to swallow.  I hate calling Microsoft, they're tech support sucks.

6. I then decided to create an Adobe pdf file and password protect it.  I sent that via Mail on my iMac to my iPhone 11 & 12.  I was successfully able to open that password protected file on both the 11 running 13.6 and the 12 running 14.2.  Hmmmmm, maybe it is a Microsoft issue after all, but I don't think this is a conclusive test.

7. At that point I decided to search for the issue and came across this forum, while I use Dropbox, I don't use it for cloud type file storage but found this thread interesting to read and thought I'd post my experience today.  

8. I downloaded Microsoft Office, Excel, etc on my iPhone 12, made no difference.

Howie_nl
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I also could open a pdf encrypted file so I'm sure now it's something Microsoft has to fix.......

Martz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Interim Success

Ok, I've  done something else and it works though I still believe Apple has an issue since I have read that 14.1 does not have this problem but at least this works.. ..   so, I ended my last post with #8, so here is #9 🙂

9. I took the Excel password protected file that I could not open from Mail on my iPhone 12 running iOS 14.2 and instead of opening it, I long pressed it in Mail until I got a pop up menu with choices.  I like choices 🙂  I chose to Save that file in the Apple "Files" app on my phone.  The File app comes standard with iOS.  I then opened the Files app and tapped the password protected Excel file I just put there, it prompted for a password, I entered it and it opened just fine.  

If you read my last post, I had to install Excel on my phone, no biggie but this is why it worked because it opened in Excel.  BTW, Excel, Word, etc is free from the Apple App store.  Once downloaded to your phone you do not need to sign in to any of the Microsoft apps.  

10. I also went to the Apple App store and downloaded the "Microsoft Office app for iOS".  I then deleted the Excel app I downloaded earlier.  So that left me with only the Microsoft Office app for iOS on my iPhone running 14.2.  I then repeated step #9 and it worked, it still opened it in Excel so there must be the full Office suite living within the Microsoft Office app for iOS instead of having the individual apps of Excel, Word and PowerPoint.  For me this is fine, the less apps on my phone, the better.

11. I will assume this same procedure will work for Word and Powerpoint but haven't tried it yet.

So until Apple fixes the issue, there is another way to open a password protected Microsoft Office file on an iOS device running iOS 14.2

Howie_nl
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I installed the free Microsoft Excel and could open the password protected file. Case is closed 😉!

Martz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Right Howie_nl but if you install the Microsoft Office app, you should be able to open Excel, Word and PowerPoint encrypted files. The reason I like this better is that instead of having three Microsoft apps on my phone, I only have the one.  

MO.jpg

Howie_nl
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
That's good to hear! I use my MacBook more with a registered MS Office package where I have no problems. I rarely use Excel and Word on the iPhone and iPad.
Wish you a great weekend!

Martz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Same with me, I use MS Office on my Mac but I have a few encrypted Excel files I keep on my iPhone and need to open them on the iPhone when I travel.  Of all the apps/programs I have, the only ones I ever have issues with are the Microsoft ones 😞

Need more support?