cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Decryption fails running iOS 14.2

Decryption fails running iOS 14.2

JohnK2
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Just updated iPhone and iPad to iOS 14.2. Now, trying to open an encrypted file, it tell me "Decryption Failed. Null" If I open with Excel, it works fine. Anyone else having this issue?

259 Replies 259

Kritzstew
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I solved my issue....  one encrypted .docx file would open in Dropbox, the other would not.  I opened the "bad" file in Word... saved a copy back to Dropbox.  Went to Dropbox and the new copy was able to open with the password... no errors... I deleted the "bad" one and renamed the copy to the original....  it now opens both on my iPhone & ipad on the Dropbox app.

try it... it may work for you...excel or word...

Nealwald
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
You didn’t solve your problem. You found a work around. If you remove the password and the restore it on a pc or Mac, the file will open on your device as it will with the iOS office apps. This is a huge bug in iOS 14.2 and needs attention from Apple ASAP.

Kritzstew
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I didn't use a pc or Mac ... did it on my ipad.  I didn't remove the password either.  Problem solved!

Martz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Kritzstew,

Do you have Microsoft Office running on your iPad?  Or do you have any of the Office stand alone programs like Excel, Word or Powerpoint?

Kritzstew
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Using stand alone app... but signed into Microsoft office.  I don't think the MS app is an issue though... it seems more like  a sync issue between IOS & Dropbox... my "work around" just "fixed" my problem... as I mentioned... one encrypted file worked fine the other didn't.

Deacon Art
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Ditto, but no replies or “fixes” from the Dropbox people.

206SA
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
So many people reported the problem but Dropbox has todate not replied or rectified the problem. Disappointing.

Martz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

It's not a Dropbox problem, its not a Microsoft problem, its an Apple problem that first started with iOS 4.1 so don't expect anyone other than Apple to fix it.  I just installed 14.2.1 on my phone and that did not fix it.  The version notes did not mention this issue so I didn't have my hopes up too much.

If you are trying to open a Microsoft Office file (Excel, Word, Powerpoint) that is password protected, you will need to have Microsoft Office or the individual apps (Excel, Word, Powerpoint) on your device.  I chose to install Microsoft Office instead of the individual apps just to cut down on the number of app icons on my screens.

If you want to test your devices ability to open a Microsoft password protected file without having Microsoft on your device, just email the encrypted file to yourself and try to open it from within the native Apple Mail app, do not save it anywhere on your device, just tap to open it. If Apple has fixed the issue, it will open otherwise you will get the blank white screen with the words Decryption Failed (null).

2sourlemons
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having the same issue today since updating to IOS 14.2

MHP5117
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having the same issue even outside of dropbox.  It is happening with opening word documents attached to emails.

Need more support?