cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem opening encrypted / passworded file

Decryption fails running iOS 14.2

JohnK2
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Just updated iPhone and iPad to iOS 14.2. Now, trying to open an encrypted file, it tell me "Decryption Failed. Null" If I open with Excel, it works fine. Anyone else having this issue?

259 Replies 259

Kev19
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Still no solution Daphne. Various reasons offered, and various work arounds - but the core issue is Dropbox failing to keep up with the Apple updates and deal with this. There are a lot of threads on this. Trying to start a ticket shows me all the unresolved threads that have been closed with unsatisfactory "solutions' - and most 'sulitions' are different! One Super User says Dropbox doesn't support decryption. The problem is that it USED to and now it doesn't. It's obviously been a problem for a few months and the best Dropbox can suggest is "not our problem, talk to Apple, or Microsoft, or anybody". Really?

JohnK2
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Yeah really Kev. It's an Apple issue, not Dropbox. I would suggest you move on to Apple discussions.

alvileomatthew
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

anyone can help me fix this problem?

Martz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Kev19,

I don't know why you and others think this is a Dropbox issue and are blaming Dropbox.  I read this often despite the number of posts here and on the Apple and Microsoft Forums explaining that the issue is caused by a change in how Apple is handling these password protected files.

JohnK2 is correct, this was caused by Apple and will only be fixed by Apple - that is "if" they decide to revert back to their formal handling of these type of files.  

Go find a work around solution that you like, there are a few mentioned on this Forum.  I say one that you like because I am not convinced this was an oversight by Apple and therefore your personal work around solution may become your new way of opening these password protected files.

We all hate change that we perceive as a step backwards but unless we sit in the Apple Engineering/Design center, we may not fully understand the rationale behind them.  I too hope this was a mistake but to be honest, I rather like my work around for the reasons I have already posted on this site.  It is now my go to solution and I don't even find myself trying it the old way due to the new way having more benefits.

So Kev19 and others, get on board and move forward, its 2021 and we all want to leave 2020 behind us :grimacing:

Nealwald
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
Happy New Year Martz and all. This is simply not a Dropbox issue and to be angry with them has no purpose. Apple changes the way the handle encrypted files. It is impacting almost all 3rd party apps trying to open encrypted files. Martz is correct either Apple will fix this because it was a bug in dev or it is now intentional behavior. Either way Apple has to solve this if the choose. The workarounds work and may be more secure so I would move on from compiling to Dropbox. Take your message to Apple.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey, @alvileomatthew, welcome to our community. 

Sorry to hear about this. Can you tell me more about it? 

- How are you trying to open these files, exactly? 

- What types of files are you having trouble with? 

- What device and operating system are you using? 

Let me know, and we’ll go from there! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

marla c.1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I got a new iphone w/ the new operating system, and was having the same error msg.  I tried everything mentioned here, even linking the phone with the "Other Source":  Dropbox.  That didn't work either.  Until Apple fixes this, at least I can open it thru the Excel app.  

Marla

brucedstout
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm posting this agsin because people seem to still be struggling with this.  The work around is not elegant, but it works:

"I diiscovered the work around to this.  After entering your password and getting the "Decryption failed (null)" message you will see a square with a line drawn from the upper right corner to the center of the square.  Tap that square icon, select "Microsoft Word" (I assume if you are attempting to open another type of file that application name will be listed).  Re-enter the password and the file opens."

-Sky-
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm finding that the after clicking to open a password protected document in Dropbox, the above mentioned square appears routinely at the bottom of the page.  dropbox.jpg

marla c.1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you - although opening thru the Excel app works, I'll use this way, as once Apple fixes the problem, opening from Dropbox  will work seamlessly.  

😉

Need more support?