cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Default Expiration for Pro

Default Expiration for Pro

Bryan and Erin
New member | Level 1

It would be nice to be able to set a default expiration duration for shared links.  For example, instead of always sharing links indefinitely, the setting would allow you to say always share for 30 days by default.  Basically, let the user choose their default link sharing duration.  Then, per link, you can change the duration as you can now.  Thank you.

5 Replies 5

SaoirseD
Dropboxer

Hi Bryan, 

Pro and Business users can set expiration dates for their links as outlined here. You can choose the default options of 7 or 30 days or you can set a custom expiration date. 

Hope that helps!

Bryan and Erin
New member | Level 1

I don't think you understood the question. You are correct. By doing what you described, on that individual folder, I can specify the expiration date on that individual folder that one time.  

I'll explain my question in a different way. If I share a folder and DO NOT set an expiration, by default it never expires. I'm asking for the ability to set an option that says "By default, for every folder I share, always set a shared link to expire after [MY CHOICE] days from when it was shared." Once this setting is set, every time I share a folder, I know it will expire 30 days from when I shared it.  I don't have to change the shared link every time I share a folder.  

The way it works now, you are assuming that in every instance every user wants to share every link forever unless they manually change the expiration setting per folder/file.  I'm asking to give each user the ability to specify the default expiration for shared links.  This preference will vary per user and the user should have the ability to specify how ling they would like a link shared by default.

For example, a family may rather share family pictures for 30 days after the event occurred.  Where a business may want documents shared forever.  As of now, the family must manually change this setting on each folder every time it is shared.

John H.59
New member | Level 1

I was just searching this exact solution. No apparently it does not exist yet. Would make a lot of sense though and be pretty easy to implement. 

Reel P.
Helpful | Level 5

I'd like to add my business' voice to the chorus. We would definitely like this ability - to set a default expiration timeframe for all links. Currently the default for links is no expiry; they last indefintely unless manually changed. We'd like links to have a default expiry of 30 days with the ability to manually change this time.

Bryce N.1
Helpful | Level 5

++ on this.

I want links to expire after 30 days UNLESS I take a specific action to make them otherwise.  Or, better yet as administrator to set both a default an a MAXIMUM expire time for a given dropbox business account.

Dropbox links are a huge security vulnerability, as anyone hacking a recipient's email can pick up interesting files.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Need more support?