cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted half of my files when deleting dropbox.

Deleted half of my files when deleting dropbox.

Ignacio Serrano
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I was unaware of the new changes Dropbox has applied to their software, and yesterday I deleted half of my files from my MacBook pro.

Now that I'm trying to retrieve them from an emptied Trash bin using another software that cost me 90 USD, I would like to know how can I get rid of dropbox safely and for good, without deleting any files anymore 

I must say that, after using Dropbox for years, this new way of operating is rather deceiving as it doesn't really explain the consequences of installing dropbox on your computer. I know the software asks you if you want to sync this or that, but I think it should be more clear about how it works. 

Thanks

Ignacio

1 Reply 1

Re: Deleted half of my files when deleting dropbox.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @Ignacio Serrano, thanks for reaching out to us. 

It sounds like computer backup was enabled, which added computer folders (like Downloads and Desktop) to your Dropbox folder. 

You can find more information and turn off this feature by following the steps mentioned in this article.

However, I understand how important this is for you and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

I just to make sure though, do you also want to uninstall the desktop app?

Give me a shout whenever you have a moment to check this out, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?