cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deprecated message using Dropbox from Fedora RPM repos

Deprecated message using Dropbox from Fedora RPM repos

emaster987
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

System information:
Operating System: Fedora Linux 35
KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.91.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.16.11-200.fc35.x86_64 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz
Memory: 7.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics
-------------------
I use Dropbox application from RPMfusion-nonfree repo on Fedora 35. In the last few months when using Dropbox from the bash I see the error message:
/usr/bin/dropbox:614: DeprecationWarning: isSet() is deprecated, use is_set() instead
 if self.stop_event.isSet(): break
every time I give a command line with dropbox (e.g. dropbox status or dropbox stop or dropbox start). This is just to let you know before this issue becomes critical. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @emaster987,

Yes, from time to time different things become deprecated and replaced by others. In the particular case a library method is on focus. Let's hope Dropbox staff will take this in mind.

You have put in your description a lot of information but your Python version is missing (the actual issuer of that warning). Can you post your version? The result of command like:

python3 -c "import sys; print(sys.version)"

By the way, you can avoid that disturbing message as follow the provided direction within the message itself - i.e. replace the deprecated method name and set newer one (they are synonyms, actually). This could get achieved by following command:

sudo sed -i s/isSet/is_set/ /usr/bin/dropbox

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @emaster987,

Yes, from time to time different things become deprecated and replaced by others. In the particular case a library method is on focus. Let's hope Dropbox staff will take this in mind.

You have put in your description a lot of information but your Python version is missing (the actual issuer of that warning). Can you post your version? The result of command like:

python3 -c "import sys; print(sys.version)"

By the way, you can avoid that disturbing message as follow the provided direction within the message itself - i.e. replace the deprecated method name and set newer one (they are synonyms, actually). This could get achieved by following command:

sudo sed -i s/isSet/is_set/ /usr/bin/dropbox

Hope this helps.

emaster987
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The result of the first command line is:
3.10.2 (main, Jan 17 2022, 00:00:00) [GCC 11.2.1 20211203 (Red Hat 11.2.1-7)]
I'll try the second command these days. Thanks a lot

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

https://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/3.10.html#deprecated 🤷 Exact match! 😉 It's not in the following section (Removed) yet, fortunately.

Moerkey
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

this is also affecting the current Ubuntu 22.04 instance.

Would be nice if this would be solved soon because it is an easy fix.

Best regards

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hey there, 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have found this issue, and it will be fixed in the 2022.12.05 release, which will be released to Ubuntu in the near future. If you are still experiencing this issue after this update, please let us know.

Regards,

Emmet

BillPurvis
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Still waiting for the Ubuntu version, just re-installed, and it is still 2020.03.04

joeco
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

same here. still seeing this error message and just installed dropbox from dropbox's .deb yesterday. version is still 2020.03.04.

lwmar
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I cannot see the Dropbox icon on the top of the screen anymore and I am getting:

dropbox start -i
/usr/bin/dropbox:613: DeprecationWarning: isSet() is deprecated, use is_set() instead
To link this computer to a Dropbox account, visit the following url:
https://www.dropbox.com/cli_link_nonce?nonce=59d01262f98ba27374e2a209975d2564

My OS is: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS, Release: 22.04, Codename: jammy. It is updated. My Dropbox daemon version is: 181.4.5678. I've just run dropbox update and followed the installation hoping that will overwrite any issues on my system but it doesn't look like anything changed, I am getting the same message. Please help me as I am not an experienced Linux user. Thanks

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@lwmar wrote:

I cannot see the Dropbox icon on the top of the screen anymore ...

Hi @lwmar,

Hm..🤔 It's strange when you had the application ran and displayed its icon it to stops just so, without reason at some point. As seems Dropbox cannot see that you're running graphical environment and gets fall back to console mode (headless one). Try figuring out what changed recently (around or just before moment the issue had come up)...

@lwmar wrote:

/usr/bin/dropbox:613: DeprecationWarning: isSet() is deprecated, use is_set() instead

That's the easiest part. 😉 Did you try the command proposed above?

@lwmar wrote:

To link this computer to a Dropbox account, visit the following url:
https://www.dropbox.com/cli_link_nonce?nonce=59d01262f98ba27374e2a209975d2564

Here it's trivial! 🙋 Just follow as noted. You need to get logged in your Dropbox account that you want to link your machine to.

Hope this helps.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lpanebr New member | Level 2
    lwmar New member | Level 2
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?