cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop App Uploading 400kb-1,500kb / Why is it this slow?

leezale88
Helpful | Level 5

I have GB internet, Ive tested the web based dropbox by draging and dropping and the speeds are significantly faster. My App was syncing just fine and now there seems to be a bottle neck.  I did change my hardrive and reconnected my sync folder through the advanced tab. Dropbox indexed all my files. 

How can I get my speed back to normal?

1 Reply 1

Re: Desktop App Uploading 400kb-1,500kb / Why is it this slow?

Rich
Super User II

@leezale88 wrote:

While most ISPs and speed test sites display their results in bits (kilo or mega), the speeds reported by Dropbox are in Bytes. Be sure to do the conversion before comparing. Your 400-1500KB/s transfer speeds as reported by Dropbox are approximately 3.2-12Mb/s, and that's a decent upload speed.

Also, each file that you upload is hashed, compressed, then transferred, encrypted, and stored on the Dropbox servers. That entire process is included in the aggregate KB/s speed that's displayed in the Dropbox sync status. In other words, the speed reported by Dropbox is not just a transfer speed, but the speed at which the entire process is being completed. The actual transfer speed is higher, but when you factor in the entire process, it appears lower.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?