cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop App not launching

Sarah13 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello! 

I have Dropbox downloaded on my laptop and have not had any issues with it. I recently started using a desktop at work, and was able to download Dropbox, but when I click on it, it doesn't launch. My cursor spins, then stops and nothing happens. On my laptop, I'm able to access the folder in my library, but that is not the case with the desktop. How can I remedy this? 

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Desktop App not launching

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Sarah13, thanks a lot for explaining the case in such detail, let’s have a look together! 

Based on your description Sarah, it seems that either something is blocking our desktop app from launching in your network or there was an incorrect installation in the first place. 

If I were in your shoes, I’d first check back with my IT (since you’ve mentioned that you’re facing this issue only at work) for any firewall restrictions blocking my access to the desktop app. Also, can you let me know if it was the first time you attempted to install Dropbox on your desktop? (It would be really helpful to me, so as to try & trace back the series of events the way you experienced them.)

Once I have this info, I’ll make sure to focus on the behavior you’re facing in a bit more detail. Thanks in advance for the time you’re devoting on the matter & I’ll be awaiting your next post on this discussion!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Sarah13, thanks a lot for explaining the case in such detail, let’s have a look together! 

Based on your description Sarah, it seems that either something is blocking our desktop app from launching in your network or there was an incorrect installation in the first place. 

If I were in your shoes, I’d first check back with my IT (since you’ve mentioned that you’re facing this issue only at work) for any firewall restrictions blocking my access to the desktop app. Also, can you let me know if it was the first time you attempted to install Dropbox on your desktop? (It would be really helpful to me, so as to try & trace back the series of events the way you experienced them.)

Once I have this info, I’ll make sure to focus on the behavior you’re facing in a bit more detail. Thanks in advance for the time you’re devoting on the matter & I’ll be awaiting your next post on this discussion!

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

View solution in original post

Sarah13 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Jane!

Thank you for your response to this! I did check with IT, and they changed the firewall to allow the Dropbox to open on the desktop. I uninstalled and reinstalled just to be sure, and all is working! I do have a stupid question though- how do I sign out from the app on the desktop? This computer is going to a new staff member who already has her own account, but I signed into mine to make sure it works, and now I can't figure out how to sign out! 

Thank you!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Perfect, seems that we’re almost there @Sarah13

Now, since you gt the installation sorted Sarah, you can easily unlink your account from this laptop referencing these steps: 

Click the Dropbox icon in the system tray. (You may need to click the arrow to show all system tray icons.)> Click the  icon and select Preferences… from the menu. > Select the Account 👤 tab. & Click Unlink This Dropbox... and confirm your choice.

When you unlink your computer, Dropbox will prompt you to sign in again. 

In case you had synced any of your files while you were looking to resolve the initial installation issue, I suggest deleting them for your own privacy. You’ll just need to move this Dropbox folder to the Rubbish Bin & then empty it, as you would do with any other folder locally. (Tip: If I were in your shoes, I’d also delete the cache folder.)

I hope that this helps you gain a bit of time to celebrate with your new team member (& congratulations by the way- that's some great news 📈 ) & I’m always here in case you have any more questions- no matter how trivial it may seems to you, please feel free to include it on this discussion!

Jane

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?