cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop Application Will Not Allow Existing Dropbox Folder to Be Used. Error: "The folder already contains a Dropbox directory."

Desktop Application Will Not Allow Existing Dropbox Folder to Be Used. Error: "The folder already contains a Dropbox directory."

Eric A.5
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have been a happy user of Dropbox for years. Until recently . . .

Dropbox recently quit working properly. The latest issue today was that it failed to load the "platform plugin windows." The Dropbox popup suggested that I reinstall Dropbox. So . . . I dutifully reinstalled Dropbox as recommended. However, I do not like to have my Dropbox located in the default . . . Users/User/Dropbox location, but on a separate hard drive.

So as soon as Dropbox opens the first time, it starts syncing to the default location (yes, development team, that needs to be fixed too -- please include an initial inquiry on first startup after install to make sure you are using the directory the user actually wants!).

I paused the syncing, opened the Preferences, went to "Account" and attempted to select a different Location, as ostensibly permitted by the preferences interface. However, when I went to the drive that contains my Dropbox, it refuses to allow me to use that location, because -- wouldn't you know it! -- there is already a Dropbox folder there. Duh! Dropbox told me to reinstall the application, but I don't want to delete everything from my computer and re-sync the entire Dropbox. Of course I already have a folder called "Dropbox". Just let me point to it.

Please, please, fix this ASAP, and don't tell me that this is something you "are aware of and are working on." A decent programmer could solve this issue during his lunch hour.

Bottom line: Dropbox needs to allow the user to specify where they want the Dropbox folder to be or where it already is.

58 Replies 58

Ajax4Hire
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just schlogged thru another Microsoft Windows update

and now, Dropbox has "forgotten" my DropBox folder location.

After signing in, Dropbox for Windows is furiously downloading Gigabytes of data to my C:\User\User\Dropbox folder WHICH IS NOT, NOR HAS IT EVER BEEN THE CORRECT LOCATION.

Irritatedly, I stop Dropbox, sign-out! sign back in, wade thru the 2-factor authentication AGAIN, and finally point Dropbox to the correct folder AGAIN.

I don't have the same level of problems with OneDrive, nor with Google Folders.

I am rapidly aproaching the position that as an Android user, Google is the way to go.

It is not that I don't know how, it is I don't want to have to retrain Dropbox on every Microsoft Windows computer I use everytime an update happens.

I'm using Microsoft Windows so I already have enough irritation.

Confusion(Confusius younger brother) once said;

Irritating people is NOT a successful long term business model.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Ajax4Hire, 

I’m sorry to hear about this. Can you tell me what version of Windows you are using, and if this has happened before? 

Please let me know so I can get this info to our developers for review. 

Thanks!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

ShakeRx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
This is such extreme common sense and yet Dropbox has YET to do it (over 2 years later). Let's spend our time making "paper" instead of correcting our HUGE mistakes in our core product. Luckily for Dropbox, Google Drive sucks even harder. Here's hoping to a better product in the future!

lact
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Seems like a pretty important one to fix!

cgoes
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Running into the same issue, two years later. I've been a paying customer since 2012, and have championed Dropbox heavily to everyone I know. However, it has become clear to me the last few years that company and by extension the developers do not listen to the community. This is definitely not the first issue I've seen or personally run into that hasn't been fixed or even addressed for one or several years.

At this point, I'm considoring jumping ship to Microsoft, which offers the same amount of storage (1TB) along with a professional office toolset AND a product that is actively developed to boot. (Updates that change nothing of consequence do not count as "active development", sorry) Unless something changes in the next year, I will very likely not be renewing my Plus subscription.

Sorry that this is off-topic, but there didn't seem to be a better place to put this. While submitting "suggestions" seems to have no effect, perhaps a public post will.

ZoeKira
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I fixed it by deleting the original Dropbox folder. You have to start by showing the hidden files in finder via Terminal (Steps: https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/hidden-folder ) Just remove the folder called Dropbox, then hide the hidden files again via Terminal and you're good to go!

peaches
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I had my Dropbox folder on my machine, in a specified location. Something happened to the app and it re-started asking me to link an account. So out of nowhere the app stopped to be linked to my machine. When I try to link it again it immediately creates a Dropbox folder in the home directory. My home directory doesn't have enough space for it to sync so it crashes. I'm in an Ubuntu, so I cannot see those advanced options to pick folder because everything is done in the terminal. When I try to point it to the old directory it simply gives an error when moving and still keeps location in my home directory. I need urgent help as I'm finishing my Ph.D. thesis and I am not able to work if the files aren't sync in both my laptop and my machine. 

Anyone knows how can I select the path to the folder through the terminal?

josephjn
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This does not provide a solution.

What I have now is one user re-uploading everything from the Dropbox directory into another directory called Dropbox (User/Dropbox/Dropbox) which is  pointless.

I cannot target the original Dropbox folder from the second Windows User account because the installer will not work unless it creates an entirely new Dropbox folder in a location where one does not already exist. I also cannot uninstall Dropbox from one Windows user, only all of them at once.

This should not still be a problem in my opinion. I don't know why I continue to pay for the service. I would be better off hosting my own redundancy at home.

The only solution I could think of would be if I temporarily rename the folder I intend to share on both users (_Dropbox_), install Dropbox to the intended share location by letting it create and name the Dropbox folder all by itself and immediately pause synchronization, then copy everything from the original folder (_Dropbox_) into the newly created one and hope that the synchronization doesn't break everything -- in which case I would have a temporary backup of the original folder, but that sort of defeats the purpose of paying for redundant cloud storage with a broken installer?

vbi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Im reinstall windows, install dropbox, select existing folder and get it:

Скриншот 2018-07-20 12.21.49.jpg

its really not good, guys...

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Philippa B. New member | Level 1
    CCM D. New member | Level 2
    Eric A.5 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?