cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop access without syncing.

Desktop access without syncing.

Chris R.70
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello. I see it mentioned a few times previously, but am wondering if there is any active development on a way to access Dropbox files from the desktop without either syncing or using the web app...basically as a file server. 

It sounds like this would be a common use case. I need to be able to save/print files from an application to Dropbox (for Business), but don't need the overhead of keeping those files locally and syncing them. 

Does anyone know if Dropbox has at least considered this kind of functionality?

Thank you.

22 Replies 22

Giuseppe L.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

It would be definitively awesome if it is possible to manage alle the DB content as local even if it's remote. It would be the key to drive DB services over any other cloud vendor. Anyone of us needs to access their own files by a specific local path, be serious please, we live in a WiFi over-coverd world.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Keep hope alive, Db are rolling out "Infinite" which they are touting as all Db content listing in explorer but still in the cloud, with localize on demand.

Guillem B.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have exactly the same problem. I work in a small lab and we produce lots of high definition images, that occupy lots of space. We want a common server where we can store all the images and have them available when we want them, but with Dropbox we would need to have them all in all the machines, which is not feasible due to hard drive storage limitations, or use the webservice, which does not allow things like dragging files from Dropbox to the server. I have been looking at many other services, but the ones I would call user friendly all have this same fault. An option would be buying a NAS device, but that would limit the storage flexibility that services like Dropbox offer. I am very surprised that, in the business and enterprise packages, they expect people to still have all the files in their own computers, or use a clunky web service.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

It is now coming as Dave said. As to if this will be available to everybody or just specific customer bases we dont know yet. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Guillem B.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Mark Thanks, I missed that message. Funny to see how dropbox itself recognizes that the web interfaces are clunky. Any idea on when this should happen?

jacob l.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

is the current selective sync limitation going to be improved? is this limitation in existence for both mac and PC or it's just a MAC problem?

Christian r.14
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am using recently released CloudMounter for this purpose. It allows to mount Dropbox as a disk to Mac Finder and access online files directly, without local syncing.

Hansi K.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the same problem right now. Guillem B. did a great job of describing it a few comments above, my situation is very similar. What would be really cool is if we could sync our folders without syncing the content, or something to that effect. 

Trudy M.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Great discussion. I am having exactly the same problem as Guillem B. above. Many thanks to Alex C. for the CloudMounter suggestion. This is definitely a great solution in the meantime. I just downloaded the trial version and while I seem to lose the ability to tag files and folders (I guess that makes sense since it's not really "on" my computer) it is completely fabulous to be able to access both Dropbox and Google Drive through the Pathfinder interface without having to physically sync with files on my computer. Brilliant!! Thank you all!

Trudy M.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Ugh. Spoke too soon. I can open files from PathFinder but it does not want to let me transfer file from my desktop to Dropbox. Sigh ... so close ...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Trudy M.1 New member | Level 1
    Hansi K. New member | Level 1
    Christian r.14 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?