cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop app blank popup, no list of recent files showing

Desktop app blank popup, no list of recent files showing

Bob K.17
Explorer | Level 3

I have HP laptop running Win 7. Recently, the desktop app has stopped showing list of recent files and noitifications. Just a blank pop up (screen grab uploaded).  If I exit and restart Dropbox, the list sometimes appears, but then disappears next time I right-click the app.

If I mouse click anywhere on the blank pop up, it does take me to file folders - so, although the file list looks blank, my mouse regsiters that their are underlying links to open locations of updated files. Untitled.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Desktop app blank popup, no list of recent files showing

Lusil
Dropboxer
Thanks for your swift reply, @Bob K.17

In general, the content missing from the setup window is fetched from an online source. When the content fails to display, it generally means that the connection to our server is being blocked or interrupted (which is why I suggested to check your firewall and security settings first). 

Users who experience a blank setup box, where the entire center of the box is black, may be either on a remote session or on a virtual machine. While the above is an important first step, the issue you are experiencing could also be related to an issue with your graphics card or settings.

If so, could you please check the following steps may help resolve the issue:
  • Ensure the host attempting to view Dropbox is configured for 32 bit colour.
  • Try logging in on the actual machine rather than through a remote session.
Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @Bob K.17

Initially, could you please check if there are any third-party apps that could be hindering or blocking the startup process, like an antivirus? In which case, you could try temporarily disabling your antivirus or security program - it may do the trick. 

Also, could you by any chance be connected through a work network? If you are, check with your company’s IT department (there could be an update on your firewall settings or another security measure placed affecting this)

Furthermore, I’d highly recommend having a look through this article for more suggestions (although the errors outlined may not apply to you, you may come across something that might help). 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Bob K.17
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the guidance.  I have also on occasions had this message from DropBox on Windows startup:DropBox.JPG

Lusil
Dropboxer
Thanks for your swift reply, @Bob K.17

In general, the content missing from the setup window is fetched from an online source. When the content fails to display, it generally means that the connection to our server is being blocked or interrupted (which is why I suggested to check your firewall and security settings first). 

Users who experience a blank setup box, where the entire center of the box is black, may be either on a remote session or on a virtual machine. While the above is an important first step, the issue you are experiencing could also be related to an issue with your graphics card or settings.

If so, could you please check the following steps may help resolve the issue:
  • Ensure the host attempting to view Dropbox is configured for 32 bit colour.
  • Try logging in on the actual machine rather than through a remote session.
Let me know what you find!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?