cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop app problem with new MacOS Big Sur

Desktop app problem with new MacOS Big Sur

martinchanh
New member | Level 2

Anyone upgraded to new MacOS Big Sur Beta version experiencing problem with Dropbox desktop app. App no longer works with the new OS. When trying to open the app, there is a notification message says: The application "Dropbox" can't be opened

23 Replies 23

Rich
Super User II

@martinchanh wrote:
Anyone upgraded to new MacOS Big Sur Beta version experiencing problem with Dropbox desktop app. App no longer works with the new OS. When trying to open the app, there is a notification message says: The application "Dropbox" can't be opened

Big Sur has only been in Developer beta (not even a Public beta) for 4 days. It will take time before Dropbox has been updated to work with it correctly. Dropbox will be supported on the operating system once it's reached a Release status. Until then, it's not one of the operating systems supported by Dropbox.

josued8a
Helpful | Level 5

Running the beta version on MacOS Big Sur under Apple Sillicon is not working yet, even the installer do not finish.

I saw on the Activity Monitor the application running 6 processes but doint nothitng and even after a few hours it do not open the application.

Dropbox process 5 processes running

Drobox Web Helper 1 process running

DropboxMacUpdate 2 processes running for hours at 98 ~ 100% CPU. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey everyone, thanks for reaching out to us on the Dropbox Community. 

As Rich also mentions, the OS you're running isn't currently a fully tested or supported environment for the Dropbox desktop app. 

As such, we're not able to offer much on this, until it is one of our supported OSes.

You can find more about this, here

Let us know if you have any other questions in the meantime, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ingconti
Helpful | Level 5

the same for me.

Under Silicon DTK does not work.

I can see mutiple processes (and to be honest a crap of stuff starting..):

from terminal:

/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox

dropbox: initializing python 3.7.5

dropbox: load fq extension '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Frameworks/python-extensions/objc._objc.cpython-37m-darwin.so'.

and MANY more....

do its NOT a real program.. a bunch of scripts seems..

Legless Goat
New member | Level 2

The offline version worked.

pukoh
Helpful | Level 5

i can't even get the .dmg to open and install. Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 12.11.50 am.png

Legless Goat
New member | Level 2

I had that, I resolved it by using the offline installer.

Legless Goat
New member | Level 2
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ingconti Helpful | Level 5
    dolfke Collaborator | Level 10
    Vanina Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?