cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop app stopped working.

Desktop app stopped working.

rholdaway
Explorer | Level 4

Desktop app stopped working Aug 28 2018.  Clicking on desktop icon nothing happens.  System try Icon has disappeared.  After several attempts I was able to uninstall the program.  Now I cant reinstall (error 2 - really helpful).  Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Desktop app stopped working.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that you’re experiencing difficulties with this. Let’s try a different set of steps to uninstall before reinstalling and see if that does the trick:
  1. Open Task Manager by right-clicking the taskbar. 
  2. Select Start Task Manager
  3. Click on the Processes tab to see if there are any other processes associated with the Dropbox app that may be preventing it from being removed from your device. You may need to click Show processes from all users to check all processes.
Once you are viewing these processes, if you see any items that refer to Dropbox, or recognize any programs that you may have linked to Dropbox, please perform the following steps for each applicable process:
  • Click on the line that references the process to select it
  • Click on "End Process"
After you've done so, please try to follow the normal uninstall instructions.

If you’re still having trouble with this, please send me a screenshot (omitting any personal info) of any error message that you might be seeing so as to have a better understanding of what you’re seeing. 

Let me know how it goes! :nerd:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

atccodex
New Super User

Restart your computer, might clear some junk out. If all else fails, I have had a lot of luck in similar situations by using Advanced System Care from IObit to clean up registry errors. Just run a full scan, and make sure Registry Clean and Registry Defrag are checked (just check them call, can't hurt).

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @rholdaway!

Initially, I’d kindly recommend refraining from carrying out a registry cleanup, as it could cause damage to the device. 

In the mean time, what I’d suggest is to have a look at this post by @Jane, which gives more info on your concern, and provides steps on potentially tackling it. 

Hope this helps to some extent! :grinning:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

rholdaway
Explorer | Level 4

I've tried following Jane's suggestions, but cant delete all the files.  The stumbling block is dropboxext66.24.0.dll.  Windows says the file is in use and therefor I cant delete it.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that you’re experiencing difficulties with this. Let’s try a different set of steps to uninstall before reinstalling and see if that does the trick:
  1. Open Task Manager by right-clicking the taskbar. 
  2. Select Start Task Manager
  3. Click on the Processes tab to see if there are any other processes associated with the Dropbox app that may be preventing it from being removed from your device. You may need to click Show processes from all users to check all processes.
Once you are viewing these processes, if you see any items that refer to Dropbox, or recognize any programs that you may have linked to Dropbox, please perform the following steps for each applicable process:
  • Click on the line that references the process to select it
  • Click on "End Process"
After you've done so, please try to follow the normal uninstall instructions.

If you’re still having trouble with this, please send me a screenshot (omitting any personal info) of any error message that you might be seeing so as to have a better understanding of what you’re seeing. 

Let me know how it goes! :nerd:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

rholdaway
Explorer | Level 4

Followed this advice (the first part anyway).  Once I had ended the processes in Task Manager,  I went back and deleted what I could from the dropbox folder.  It would still not delete the one dll file.  Just for fun, I tried the online install (didnt work), then I tried the offline install and much to my amazement it worked.  I had to go through a number of files and rename them because they were out of sync, but now that that is done I am back in business.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Glad to hear that, @rholdaway

If you ever have any other questions in the future, just give us a shout. In the mean time, have a lovely weekend ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    rholdaway Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?