cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop app to replace DropBox on Windows XP

Re: Desktop app to replace DropBox on Windows XP

Rich
Super User II

How many of the disgruntled, disenfranchised XP users do you think believe you, Mark ... and how many do you think believe me?

How will the answer to either of those questions change the fact that XP is a dying operating system, and how would they change the status of Dropbox on XP?

These are also rhetorical questions.

K.M. R.
New member | Level 1

The difference being that I know not to answer a rhetorical question.

Rich
Super User II

Did I answer either of your questions? No, I don't believe I did.

To get this back on topic...

Dropbox support for XP is going away and nothing will change that. There are no, to our knowledge, third-party applications that will allow you to continue syncing Dropbox on a Windows XP computer. Your only course of action to continue using Dropbox on XP is to use the website to manage your files.

Biene K.
New member | Level 1

Today I replaced XP (which I was extremely happy with) with Windows 7.

Please let your masters at Microsoft know that the bully-boy tactics have paid off.  

I must salute those XP users who continue to resist.

Mike V.6
Helpful | Level 5

What exactly will happen? Will the XP app just crash with an error message? I assume that what is being lost will be the ability to keep Dropbox files on XP systems synced with other systems? That would mean that files will need to be transferred manually using the web? Upgrading XP is not a viable option for me. Why can't the existing app just be frozen? XP did not stop working when Microsoft dropped support. 

K.M. R.
New member | Level 1

Read this other thread on the subject.  You aren't alone in asking that, but Dropbox either:

1. Doesn't realize the size of the existing installed Windows XP user base that cannot upgrade for whatever reason but wants to continue as a Dropbox customer;
  2. Cannot -- or is unwilling to -- find a way to make the existing client (which works on XP) "freeze in time" so we can continue even as others move on; or
  3. Could care less who stays and who goes.

Try to ignore the "super user" posts.  They are, for all intents and purposes, just shills for Dropbox based upon the useless responses they have provided.

Mark
Super User II

You will probably get an error similar to 'cannot connect to Dropbox'. 

The reason it cannot continue has already been discussed at length, I'm afraid - its an out dated, unsupported OS which is exceptionally insecure now. 

The data will not vanish from computers, but, you will need to start using the website to transfer data to / from other connected devices. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

K.M. R.
New member | Level 1

You "super users" need to stop responding.  None of us cares about you parroting the official Dropbox corporate line anymore.

G B.1
Explorer | Level 4

I moved significant part of my files to Google Drive, and if using Dropbox via web-interface will be inconvenient, which it most likely will, I will move more files to Google Drive. Maybe all of them one day.

That's the result of "upgrades" users don't need.

I still wonder though. Ok, Dropbox works on two sides, which might make it necessary to upgrde both Dropbox side, and user (PC) side. But, all I and I believe many others users need, is just syncing their files between devices. Nothing else. Just like it happens now. I wouldn't need ANY upgrade Dropbox can think of, actually. Dropbox needs them more than users do. But anyway. In such case, couldn't Dropbox launch something like "version 2.0" app for those who needs "upgrades" and stuff, and keep the "plain and outdated" version for those who don't? At least that would build an army of loyal users, instead of all the hatred.

Richard P.
Super User alumni

But anyway. In such case, couldn't Dropbox launch something like "version 2.0" app for those who needs "upgrades" and stuff, and keep the "plain and outdated" version for those who don't? At least that would build an army of loyal users, instead of all the hatred.

Dropbox are dropping XP support because the costs associated with maintaining the client for XP, even without new features and just security or bug related updates, outweighs the revenue generated from users with XP systems.

That's the bottom line, there is no way around that.

Dropbox cannot simply let XP users continue on older clients without any updates either, because the moment the server side API changes (as it has done several times over the past few years) Dropbox will either need to run separate servers for XP users (more cost, more things to maintain) or update the XP client (more cost).

The revenue simply isn't there to bear that cost.

XP support will be ending on the 29th of August.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    K.M. R. New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
    Richard P. Super User alumni
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?