cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop app with multiple Dropbox accounts

Desktop app with multiple Dropbox accounts

maureenS
Explorer | Level 4

I have three Dropbox accounts linked to 3 different emails. I have used Dropbox since the beginning of Dropbox to give you an idea that I'm not a total newbie.  I am unable to toggle between the three accounts using the Desktop app.  When unlinking "this Dropbox" to my Macbook Pro, the entire icon disappears once I chooose "Unlink This Dropbox." The desktop application in the system becomes unresponsive. The only way I can have the Desktop work again is to re-install the Desktop App. I hae done this 3 times, and each time, my one and original email is syncing again. I never sync to the other two emails when re-installing the app even though I install through the other email account's link in settings. In System Preferences, in Users & Groups, in Login, Dropbox shows only one email in the lower left corner, which is logical. I have never signed in to the other two email accounts using the Desktop App.

Right now, the only way for me to access the other two accounts is through the URL for Dropbox signin. How do I enable the ability to toggle between the three accounts using the Desktop app? Or can I not do this?

6 Replies 6

Re: Desktop app with multiple Dropbox accounts

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @maureenS, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Through the desktop app, you can sync up to two Dropbox accounts. However, these two accounts would need to be one personal account (Basic, Plus or Pro) and one Business account (Standard or Advanced).

If you have a Business and a personal account, then you can check out the steps to connect and set up the app from here. You would then need to access the third account through the website.

I hope this info helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

maureenS
Explorer | Level 4

@Daphne, thank you for the reply.  I know that I can only sync two accounts, one personal and one business. However, I was not clear about what I was trying to do.

I want to sync only one personal account.  I want to change the account occassionally that is synced. I thought I could log out of personal account #1 and login to personal account #2, using the desktop app. How do I do this? So far, when I do this, the Desktop App has no option to login to a different personal account.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @maureenS!

Thanks for the clarification too, I've got a much better idea of what you're trying to do now.

Since you're having trouble with unlinking through the desktop app, can you try unlinking the account from your security page online? Under the devices section, you'll just need to click the "X" next to the device.

Once you've done this, if the app appears to be have any issues then please try restarting the app which you can do by force quitting and launching from the Applications menu.

Otherwise, you'll just be prompted to link an account to the desktop app when clicking on the Dropbox icon.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

maureenS
Explorer | Level 4

@Daphne

Something bad has happened. When I switched over to account #2, somehow Smart Sync was activated. My entire folders on my personal computer were transferred to this account #2 dropbox. It took me two hours to find the local folder in the trash.

It is now taking hours to re-sync the local folder. Is there a faster way? 

Smart Sync is terrible. It should not be an Opt-in as default the way you have it set up.

maureenS
Explorer | Level 4

@Daphne 

Please tell me how to stop Smart Sync and free my computer. The Dropbox app will not let me kill it and allow me to delete my files in Dropbox online. I do NOT want my local folder to be uploaded online to Dropbox. It is insane. The application is holding my computer hostage, and I cannot get any work done. I would rather lose all the folders than not be able to work. I have most of the files backed up. I can open the files in Dropbox even though the syncing icon keeps twirling. This is a mess.

Daphne
Dropboxer

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this @maureenS!

Just to clarify, you mentioned that your local folders are now syncing to Dropbox. Would that be your Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders?

If so, this wouldn't be Smart Sync as this feature just reduces the space your Dropbox files take on your computer. This feature is the automatic computer backup which would have to be enabled during the setup of the desktop app.

In this case, please disable this feature with the steps outlined towards the bottom of this article. When this is disabled you can move the files back to their original location on your computer.

Keep me posted with how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?