cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop app

Desktop app

kpanc
New member | Level 2

I just created a dropbox account. Why do I need to download and install the desktop application? Can't I just use the website? I don't want to take up more memory space on my desktop. 

3 Replies 3

Re: Desktop app

MLWGSFoundation
New member | Level 2

You don't need to use the "app"... but the benefit is that your Dropbox files are accessible and organized in the File Explorer (on PC) just like C: drive files are.  Using the online version, some users have to download a document/file into a software app to open it, manipulate it, then upload back into online Dropbox to save.  A lot of steps. When using the Dropbox app, you open the document straight from your File Explorer or from the Excel or Word app and save as "normal" and the document is auto backed up and saved in Dropbox cloud.

Chris_J
Super User

Dropbox wants to give you the best experience in Dropbox usage.  The best way to use Dropbox is by installing a client that runs in the background and syncs files automatically for you.  You set it up once and forget it.  ITs also the BEST way to upload and download files.  We want that for you.  You don't have to use the Desktop client.  But this will limit your usage.  and in some small occasions and limitations, you may not be able to upload 100% of your files.

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

kpanc
New member | Level 2

Thank you for the response. I won't be using Dropbox that often, in fact, in a limited way. My guess is that if that is the case, the desktop app 'cost' may be greater than the 'opportunity' - what are your thoughts?

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?