cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop client won't uninstall Windows 10

Desktop client won't uninstall Windows 10

markpeers
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, I have a problem with the desktop app on Windows 10. The app will not run so I tried to re-install, the installer fails with error 2. I then tried to uninstall and the uninstaller fails with the message "dropbox failed to uninstall". I have looked for similar problems and tried the various solutions but nothing fixes the problem on my machine.

Any further ideas would be very welcome.

Thanks

Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

markpeers
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for the help guys, I got there in the end but it was far from straight forward. I followed the advanced uninstall but that left two files in the client folder (DropboxExt.22.0.dll and DropboxExt64.22.0.dll) that refused to delete. I kept getting 'access denied'. I eventually deleted them by starting Windows 10 in Safe Mode. (Now that's not easy in Win 10!).

With the files removed I ran the offline installer again, same problem, install failed.

Next I seached the registry and removed all references to Dropbox. Restarted Windows and ran the online installer.

Success, I now have a working Dropbox client on my laptop!!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
What about the Advanced Uninstall part of this?
https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/advanced-reinstall

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

markpeers
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I hate to suggest it, but....

Have you tried restarting?

... I know that can be the worst "advice" to hear, however I think it's very possible that some part of the install process didn't completly disengage - for want of a better word - and this could be impeeding the uninstall.

The Advanced Reinstall instructions above are also an excellent suggestion if it's not as simple as the above.

markpeers
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for the help guys, I got there in the end but it was far from straight forward. I followed the advanced uninstall but that left two files in the client folder (DropboxExt.22.0.dll and DropboxExt64.22.0.dll) that refused to delete. I kept getting 'access denied'. I eventually deleted them by starting Windows 10 in Safe Mode. (Now that's not easy in Win 10!).

With the files removed I ran the offline installer again, same problem, install failed.

Next I seached the registry and removed all references to Dropbox. Restarted Windows and ran the online installer.

Success, I now have a working Dropbox client on my laptop!!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Are you having an issue @8054509056448

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    markpeers Helpful | Level 5
    Ross_S Dropbox Staff
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?