cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Desktop client won't uninstall Windows 10

Desktop client won't uninstall Windows 10

markpeers
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, I have a problem with the desktop app on Windows 10. The app will not run so I tried to re-install, the installer fails with error 2. I then tried to uninstall and the uninstaller fails with the message "dropbox failed to uninstall". I have looked for similar problems and tried the various solutions but nothing fixes the problem on my machine.

Any further ideas would be very welcome.

Thanks

Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

markpeers
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for the help guys, I got there in the end but it was far from straight forward. I followed the advanced uninstall but that left two files in the client folder (DropboxExt.22.0.dll and DropboxExt64.22.0.dll) that refused to delete. I kept getting 'access denied'. I eventually deleted them by starting Windows 10 in Safe Mode. (Now that's not easy in Win 10!).

With the files removed I ran the offline installer again, same problem, install failed.

Next I seached the registry and removed all references to Dropbox. Restarted Windows and ran the online installer.

Success, I now have a working Dropbox client on my laptop!!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
What about the Advanced Uninstall part of this?
https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/advanced-reinstall

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

markpeers
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I hate to suggest it, but....

Have you tried restarting?

... I know that can be the worst "advice" to hear, however I think it's very possible that some part of the install process didn't completly disengage - for want of a better word - and this could be impeeding the uninstall.

The Advanced Reinstall instructions above are also an excellent suggestion if it's not as simple as the above.

markpeers
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for the help guys, I got there in the end but it was far from straight forward. I followed the advanced uninstall but that left two files in the client folder (DropboxExt.22.0.dll and DropboxExt64.22.0.dll) that refused to delete. I kept getting 'access denied'. I eventually deleted them by starting Windows 10 in Safe Mode. (Now that's not easy in Win 10!).

With the files removed I ran the offline installer again, same problem, install failed.

Next I seached the registry and removed all references to Dropbox. Restarted Windows and ran the online installer.

Success, I now have a working Dropbox client on my laptop!!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Are you having an issue @8054509056448

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?