cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop problems after trying out Backup

Desktop problems after trying out Backup

David S.178
Collaborator | Level 9

Today Dropbox sent me messages about its new Backup facility, and I accidentally installed it because I was trying to understand what it does from the brief descriptions.

I quickly realized that I didn't want to backup Desktop, Documents, or other Windows special files, because I don't do my important work in them. So I did what I could to stop backing them up.

Somehow as a result, my desktop, which I had organized into sections over the course of many years, has become totally disorganized. It looks like it has been rearranged alphabetically by icon name. All my organization of my hundreds of icons has been lost.

I think that the Dropbox company didn't realize that the Desktop is not just another folder that is sorted by name, date modified, type, or size. The Desktop is special in that the Registry tracks the position of each icon displayed on it. If Dropbox is to be able to restore the Desktop from backup, it must also store the position of each icon. Clearly, it does not do this currently.

I hope this message will warn others of this problem, and possibly someone in Dropbox Development can fix it before it affects others. For me, this has been a disaster that will continue to be a problem into the future.

4 Replies 4

Re: Desktop problems after trying out Backup

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @David S.178, thanks for posting today!

Could you clarify what you mean when the folder has been arranged alphabetically?

Did you disable the computer backup feature, and if so did this restore the previous locations of the icons?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

David S.178
Collaborator | Level 9

"Could you clarify what you mean when the folder has been arranged alphabetically?"

This has the standard meaning. It means the same effect as sorting by name in the File Explorer in Windows. All the original positions of the desktop icons have been lost.

"Did you disable the computer backup feature,

I hope so. The Backup interface is very difficult to understand. I unchecked the Desktop, etc., checkboxes.

"and if so did this restore the previous locations of the icons?"

No. I am not sure exactly when the Desktop got messed up, because I was not looking at it while I was dealing with Dropbox, trying to understand what Backup was and then how to avoid it. It is possible that my fear made me do something wrong. But I most certainly did not deliberately or consciously sort the Desktop, if you are trying to blame me.

Jay
Dropboxer
Since the computer backup feature only moves the location of the Desktop folder it wouldn't take into account other features of the desktop, namely the icon location.

We appreciate the feedback on this matter. If you wish, you can suggest this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this in future!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

David S.178
Collaborator | Level 9

A bug report should not require a suggestion for a change, or voting! I leave it in the hands of the Dropbox company to fix or to ignore. I have done my part by reporting the bug.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

David S.178 Collaborator | Level 9
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?