cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop wiped clean after downloading DB (second time around)

Highlighted

Desktop wiped clean after downloading DB (second time around)

Explorer | Level 4

Hey Folx,

I had Free DB about a month ago. I clicked something inadvertantly and it started downloading all my files.  I didn't want that and the only thing I could figure out to do was to cancel and eleminate dropbox.  Today I tried to reload Free DB.  It seemed to be successful, but it said I still had it on harddrive, and would name the new attempt. I agreed and then ... MY WHOLE DESK TOP GOT WIPED CLEAN ... and I was back to the original High Sierra screen saver!!  Whaaaat?  I do have a few docs on the bar below the screen, but that is all.  Can anyone help? 

12 Replies 12
Highlighted

Re: Desktop wiped clean after downloading DB (second time around)

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @KurtAK, I'm sorry to hear about that!

When installing the desktop app, is it possible that you enabled the computer backup to sync the files to Dropbox?

If you do a search for some of the missing files through your Finder window, can you locate these files? What about if you look in the local Dropbox folder?

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Desktop seems to have been saved to Old Drop Box!

Explorer | Level 4

I have discovered that my entire desk top has been put into the old Drop Box (file?) that I thought I had deleted.  It won't let me copy to my desk top, which now only showe my Harddrive and a BAseQi disc that is inserted.

Any ideas about how to approach this and get all those files and documents that were on my desktop back to my desktop?

This is the second major problem I've had with DB and I'm quite fed up.  The first time I inadvertantly cliked something and it DB began downloading everything in my computer top DB.  I didn't want that, but couldn't stop it.  So I quit DB (I thought).  HELP.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Daphne,

Thanx for responding. I have found everything from my desk top: it is in the old DropBox folder!  So I guess that I did SYNC it?  I don't know how, and my mac folx are flummoxed over it.  Do you have any ideas?  Thank.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Daphne,

I neglected to say: I can't copy anything from the old DropBox folder, that I located through Finder, back onto the desktop.  The only thing showing on my desktop is my hard drive and a BaseQi disc I have inserted.

Thanx,

Kurt

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Daphne,

Let me also say that I REALLY need a solution to this.  I've already had to pay some max folx to help.  I really don't want to have to pay any more money to solve a problem that DB folx should be able to help me with.

Please help me solve this.  I am right in the middle of a big project that requires all the power of my computer to carry out, and right now I'm having to do so many workarounds, it's costing me an enormous amount of time.

Peace,

Kurt

Highlighted

Looks like a sync problem. Desktop has been dropped into old Dropbox folder and I can't transfer it.

Explorer | Level 4

I sent serveral replies to Daphne.  I'm new to this "community" and don't know what's getting through.

Any help is appreciated.

Paz,

Kurt

Highlighted

Re: Looks like a sync problem. Desktop has been dropped into old Dropbox folder and I can't transfer

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi, I'm having the same issue.  I accidentally copied my "Desktop" folder from my computer backup in the Dropbox desktop app and now I cannot delete, move or rename that folder.  I cannot contact Dropbox support because I'm a Basic customer, but this is a Dropbox bug/glitch that needs to be resolved.  I need to know how to delete this folder as it is using up all the space in my Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Looks like a sync problem. Desktop has been dropped into old Dropbox folder and I can't transfer

Explorer | Level 4

Jenn,

Yea. My actual desk top got copied into Dropbox and I can't find a way to get it back to my actual desktop.  It's messing up a lot of other things, too, like taking screen shots, sending docs ...

Let's keep in touch because if one of us gets some help it's likely to be helful to the other.

Peace,

Kurt

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Jenn,

just a heads up: I had a response, in the community chat, from somebody who identified as a Dropboxer, and I actually think she works for Dropbox.  I'll let you know if she follows up on my further details about my problem.

paz,

Kurt

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?