Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Despite of smart sync, hard drive still full - and cannot sync

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Dear Team, 

The message appeared that Dropbox cannot be sync as my hard drive is almost full (121GB). 

Could you please help me, how I can solve this problem in order to ensure the syncronizing process. 

Infos:

Almost all of my documents are marked as smart sync, therefore they should all be online. Hence I am not understanding why they are still using as much space on the hard drive. 

If I check which documents use the most storage on my harddrive, the ones are appearing which are only available online (marked with the cloud). 

Hope that anyone can help me out here - as the purpose of the smart sync gets a bit lost here. 

Thanks, 

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Despite of smart sync, hard drive still full - and cannot sync

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @SW_1

Unfortunate that your first post here is about this hard drive space issue , but you wrote in the right place for help! We are all here for you. 

I understand your files are already set to be online only, since you mentioned you see gray clouds on them. Let's see how much space your Smart Synced files are taking up locally. 

Please add a screenshot of the hard drive space Dropbox occupies in your system. 

I will also need to know what version of Dropbox you have running there and the version of your Operating system. 

Once I have the additional info I will be able to suggest any further steps. 

Thank you!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Dear Fiona, 

Many thanks for your prompt answer.

The operating system is macOS Mojave, Version 10.14.4 and Dropbox is v81.4.195

For example, if I check the hard disk it says that my largest document which is a movie is taking up 1.19GB space, although it has the grey cloud next to it in the finder. How can that be?

Thanks in advance, 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the info @SW_1

Please add a screenshot of the calculation your system shows for the whole Dropbox folder on your hard drive and also the calculation of the file you mentioned above. Some of the locations in your Finder will display the logical size, others the physical size.

A Smart Sync placeholder takes up approximately 0kb, this is the pysical size. The logical size of the file is the actual size of the file, if it were downloaded to the device.

To see both the logical and physical file size:
- Right click on a file/folder
- Select 'Get info'
- In the properties window you will see the original file size, followed by the actual on-disk size

For example:428,510 bytes (0 KB on disk)

That is what I need to see to further assist the best way possible.

Thank you!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?