cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Different Dropbox Folder Size on Different Computers

Different Dropbox Folder Size on Different Computers

AstralTim67
Explorer | Level 4

I would like to see Dropbox fix the issue that causes different Dropbox folder sizes on different computers after syncing is completed on all computers.  This makes no sense and means data is getting lost somewhere.  Please let me know when this is resolved.  Thanks.  

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II

This depends upon what sizes you are checking - as the local hidden caches will have a HUGE impact upon that. In terms of data loss - that wont be happening as the local hash checks make sure of it.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Mark
Super User II
You can 'right click -> Preferences' on computers, but, there is no way of checking file/folder size information on the website.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mark
Super User II
Dropbox doesnt sync actual files, it sync's it in 4mb chunks. So a 12mb file is made up (on Dropbox servers) as 3 x 4mb files.

As to why the information itself isnt available. Sorry. I dont know.

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II

This depends upon what sizes you are checking - as the local hidden caches will have a HUGE impact upon that. In terms of data loss - that wont be happening as the local hash checks make sure of it.

LauraP
New member | Level 2

I would like to verify the total number of files and file folders that are in "Dropbox" on my various devices.  I have looked in forums and faq's and have not found an answer.  It seems like it would be information that is readily available, but I haven't been able to figure out how.  Please advise.  Thank you.

Mark
Super User II
You can 'right click -> Preferences' on computers, but, there is no way of checking file/folder size information on the website.

LauraP
New member | Level 2

Thank you for your speedy reply.  Yeah, that's really what the issue is because it seems like information that most people would want to know at some point in time.  I'm having sync problems and the number of files I have is quite large so it would be nice to know that my "Dropbox" (cloud) has everything that my devices have and vice versa.  Any idea why they don't provide that info?  Or maybe it's more complicated than I imagine.  

Mark
Super User II
Dropbox doesnt sync actual files, it sync's it in 4mb chunks. So a 12mb file is made up (on Dropbox servers) as 3 x 4mb files.

As to why the information itself isnt available. Sorry. I dont know.

Need more support?