cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different Windows profiles with their own Dropbox account

Different Windows profiles with their own Dropbox account

Kevin D.32
New member | Level 1

I've just read:

If you're a Dropbox Basic or Dropbox Pro user, it's also possible to use a different Dropbox account for each user login on your computer. While this technically means you can have several Dropbox folders on the same computer, you'll have to switch between each user account to take advantage of Dropbox's syncing features. This method is best for groups or families that have individual Dropbox accounts and use unique user logins on the same computer.

Does that essentially mean I could set up two user profiles on Windows and have them both syncing their own Dropbox account (basic or Pro) without them having access to the other persons?

If so, how do you go about it?

4 Replies 4

Re: Different Windows profiles with their own Dropbox account

Kevin D.32
New member | Level 1

Polite bump...

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

Kevin, Each user must login (alone) to their account and use a different email address than the others use. (Because all users on this computer use the same IP address they cannot refer on another for extra space.)  I think Only the currently logged in user can "sync".

Kevin D.32
New member | Level 1

Thanks Rick.

Sync'd or not, would each user still have access to both folders or only their own?

Scenario: my wife works 3 days for me, a part-timer the other 2 using the same PC. I will share my full folder structure with my wife but only certain folders with the part-timer. Will the part-timer be able to see my wife's folder structure when logged in? (even though I appreciate it might not be fully sync'd)

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

Dropbox installs for each user under their "person" account. HOWEVER, if a user tells dropbox to change the location of their files to, say, C:/KDsfiles....

then other users on that computer could access the files fully.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rick M. Experienced Collaborator | Level 13
    Kevin D.32 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?