cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different paths to duplicate folders

Different paths to duplicate folders

MEDEVAC
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I have a problem that I have only just noticed in the last few days.

I seem to have two duplicate Dropbox folder structures that are 99% the same so it's hard to tell which one is which but the files and folders don't sync.

I run MS10 on a Lenovo G50 and in the folder menu, there are 3 different ways to access Dropbox.

One is accessible via This PC > Documents > Dropbox. This isn't synced to my phone I have just realised. It appears that sometimes certain programmes (Adobe in this instance) save to this path rather than the Dropbox that is synced to my phone/backed up etc.

The other method is via Outlook Team > Dropbox. This is also accessible via the Desktop/Folder menu

The folder structures are almost identical but this second path is linked to the phone and synced.  I've only just noticed this.

How can  clean this up please?

1 Reply 1

Re: Different paths to duplicate folders

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @MEDEVAC, I'd be happy to help out here!

Since you appear to have two Dropbox folders on your computer, did you have a previous installation of the desktop app that was syncing in a different location?

Just to double check which folder path the app is currently syncing, please follow the steps below:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the "Sync" tab.
  5. Check the folder path shown under the location section.

If you see the folder location is indeed syncing to Outlook Team/Dropbox then you should be fine to remove the other copy of the Dropbox folder.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?