cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty accessing personal and business accounts from app on Windows 10 laptop

Difficulty accessing personal and business accounts from app on Windows 10 laptop

jwatbwaydotnet
New member | Level 2

I replaced my HP laptop with a new one this week and bungled the installation of the Dropbox app, bombing out of a dialog which invited me to link my business account. As a result, only my personal files are shared with this computer and not my business ones. On the prior laptop, both sets of files were visible on the hard drive from all applications.

I believe I have everything properly set up on Dropbox.com with the two accounts linked. 

When I do a search (including on this site) of how to fix the problem, I find advice which includes "Click on the avatar at the upper right corner" or"the email address in the lower left" of the app. My problem is that the Dropbox app in my task bar on the new computer has neither option. 

On the old computer I am replacing, the Dropbox app in fact resembles the screen at Dropbox.com and includes both options. But the Dropbox window which comes up when I click the icon on my new computer appears to be a File Explorer window with my Dropbox files, and has neither the avatar or the email.

I vaguely remember noticing this same problem five years ago when the old computer was new, but I apparently solved it and got the  app updated in some way I don't remember. 

I am sure there is some simple way to share my business files from the cloud to the new computer so they appear in the local directory tree when I view my files from OpenOffice, Acrobat etc. But I am stumped right now.

Thanks for any advice. 

4 Replies 4

Re: Difficulty accessing personal and business accounts from app on Windows 10 laptop

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @jwatbwaydotnet, I hope you're well today!

Since your accounts are already linked online, please try the following to see if that does the trick:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the Account tab.

From there, you should see the option to link your second account.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Difficulty accessing personal and business accounts from app on Windows 10 laptop

jwatbwaydotnet
New member | Level 2

The icon and initials are not there. When I click the Dropbox icon in the system tray, what comes up appears to be a File Explorer window lacking those features. 

jwatbwaydotnet
New member | Level 2

Apparently there is a version of the Dropbox app on Windows 10 which uses File Explorer. However, I have now managed to upgrade to the version of the app you are describing and I think the problem is solved. Thanks for your help.

Daphne
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that @jwatbwaydotnet!

If you have any other issues with this, please don't hesitate to drop me another post here. I'd be happy to help out. 😁

Hope you have a great rest of your week!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?