cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable automatic updates

Disable automatic updates

Mike G.
New member | Level 1

How can I prevent dropbox from automatically updating itself? The new dropbox 3 has a very anti-windows-7 UI that I don't like, so I reinstalled 2.10. How do I stop dropbox from continually installing v3?

93 Replies 93

protagonistic
Helpful | Level 6
Thanks for the comment about the scheduled update. I uninstalled the Dropbox app some time back over this. I didn't need all the features it provides and it became a liability rather than a help. I use another app to upload files anyway so that was the best solution for me.

akseeker
Helpful | Level 6

@stylin19, thanks for the info, but I'm driving a Mac, so there is no task scheduler I can find in the System Prefs or Dropbox prefs that accomplishes the same function.

D'oh!

protagonistic
Helpful | Level 6
I'm running a Mac as well and know about those files. I chose to use my firewall to keep dropbox from phoning home but when it became apparent dropbox didn't care that so many of us were upset over the way they were doing it I uninstalled to app. Problem solved. 🙂 You don't need their app to access it anyway so why bother.

wisehands
New member | Level 2

It is very unwise of software to update itself to a version that wont run on the operating system its installed on? where is dropbox's OS X version check before upgrading itself? it makes you look very dumb as developers? skype and dropbox both did similar, ie they literally auto updated themselves to new versions which couldn't run on the operating system they were actually installed on? there should be wide compatibility with older versions of OSX, otherwise you maybe forcing users into upgrade nightmare cascade where tons of other more vital software wont run, on new forced upgrades to the operating system. The platform is X86 cpus running under OS X as far as im concerned, code should only stop running when its a different processor hardware architecture / CPU, this … ecosystem apple is building, has a very narrow window of compatibility software wise, there own installed apps only run on very specific version of os x etc, canot be uninstalled and reinstalled, and dropbox it seems is adopting a similarly aggressive approach with bullying users into always updating to newer versions whether want to or not is just another part of the same problem. This does not leave users any options to reject bad software and UI updates by not updating, only by ceasing using products and platforms entirely. speaking as someone whose been using computers continuously since the Apple II, It's clear tech manufacturers and developers are dumbing down the user experience and stealing power from the users control, not that most millenials are even aware enough to recognise this.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Tsee L. New member | Level 1
    K B.8 New member | Level 1
    jayson h.1 New member | Level 1
    Robert A.21 New member | Level 1
    Ricardo J.4 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?