cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabled Smart Sync - Now no sync at all

Disabled Smart Sync - Now no sync at all

devcybiko
Explorer | Level 4

Using MacBook Air (Mid-2015) w/ 480GB/8GB, Mojave (10.14)

I recently turned off Smart Sync (because I often use my Mac offline and need all my files available. Also, Smart Sync doesn't work in the Terminal.)

Now none of my files are syncing and the Dropbox Sync icon is stuck on "Starting..."

I've performed all the "usual suspects" by rebooting, uninstalling/reinstalling DropbBox, etc...

Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 5.37.30 PM.png

3 Replies 3

Re: Disabled Smart Sync - Now no sync at all

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @devcybiko

As a first step, could you please ensure that you're running the current stable version of the desktop app (78.4.119)?

If you are, could you please check if you have any symlinks in your Dropbox folder? Please remember that symlinks refer to data in locations outside of the Dropbox folder, so the desktop app can get stuck attempting to access them. You can find more about this here (step 7).

Finally, ccould you also confirm for me if you have more than 300,000 files attempting to be synced to your Dropbox folder? Although this is a soft limit that depends on the hardware specifications of the computer, if you have a lot of files stored locally, they may reduce the performance of the app

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

devcybiko
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the quick reply. 

1. Yes, I have the latest software

2. No symlinks

3. Yes, I have more than 300,000 files.

I deleted everything in my Dropbox folder and restarted the app hoping it would start downloading all my files. Instead, it started DELETING all my files in the cloud! I was able to rewind and get everything back, thank goodness.

Then, I removed the entire Dropbox directory and restarted the app. It went through the initialization process, created a new Dropbox folder, and started downloading all my files.

After a full day, all my files have been pulled down from Dropbox. Aside from the scary event of losing a bunch of files unexpectedly, it all went pretty well.

Thanks for checking in! 

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop, @devcybiko.

I just wanted to clarify that when you delete content in your Dropbox folder, that change is synced to your account. This means that the file(s) or folder(s) that you deleted will be removed from the website and any other connected devices.

Nonetheless, I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve your concern in the end - awesome troubleshooting!

If you have any other questions in the future or you need help with anything else, don't hesitate to get back to us. Cheers! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?