cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster recovery (system reimaging): will DB automatically update my docs to their latest versions?

Disaster recovery (system reimaging): will DB automatically update my docs to their latest versions?

KeithRG
Helpful | Level 5

I use:

• Acronis True Image to image my system from time to time
  • And all my documents, pictures etc. are backed up to Dropbox and are synced across all my devices thanks to Dropbox.

The great thing about Dropbox is that it keeps all my documents and pictures updated to the latest version across all my devices. It's what I love so much about it 😄.

Anyway, here's my question that has been bugging me for some time now:

• Imagine a disaster such as a total disk failure.
  • Theoretically, disaster recovery should be easy as pie with Dropbox. All I need do, having replaced my failed disk with a new one, is to restore it to the most recent system image, and then turn wifi on and wait for Dropbox to update all the data files whose versions have changed since the date of that last system image backup.

However, I have a niggling doubt. It's a giant one, and one I've had for some time:

• Will Dropbox download the latest versions of my documents to my device, thus updating my data to the latest version?
  • Or will, rather, the outdated System Image document versions update to the Dropbox Cloud, and thus become the latest versions across all my devices??

If the former, then that's great, and just as I'd like it to be!! If the latter however, then my disaster recovery become a considerably more complex operation to perform.

So which is the correct answer? Maybe a Dropbox developer could provide an answer?

Many thanks in advance!

5 Replies 5

Re: Disaster recovery: System Image restore & then update documents to latest versions with Drop

Mark
Super User II

Hi @KeithRG 

I've had this one before and for me it did the former (downloaded the updates instead of uploading the files from computer to Dropbox). BUT it depends upon how the files are restored to the computer as a lot is based around the date and time stamp within the Dropbox database on the device. 

Personally now I usually run my recovery and get the system back up and running and then just run Dropbox as a whole new install but with my laptop turned on so it can do WiFi syncing. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: Disaster recovery: System Image restore & then update documents to latest versions with Drop

KeithRG
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, Mark, for a quick reply with your thoughts on this matter 😀. What you say sounds reassuring (from previous experience, I'm pretty certain that Acronis True Image restores files and folders with their original date and time stamps).

To be sure, your second approach (uninstall Dropbox, delete Dropbox folder and then reinstall Dropbox) is safer—indeed foolproof I would imagine—but it will also take a lot longer.

I'll be most interested if and when a Dropbox staff member replies to this thread.

I like to live dangerously so I'm tempted, in the absence of a definitive reply, to try the approach I describe in my original post, if and when I next have to reimage a disk, and see what happens. Along with much fear and trembling, of course 😳 !! Naturally on the other hand, I hope I never have to face a "disaster recovery" (or any recovery) situation again. As they say, prevention is better than cure.

Mark
Super User II

If I'm honest I dont think you'll get a Dropboxer reply... there are so many variables. 

As I said it worked the few times for me.... I also knew if it didnt I could roll it back!

What I would also say is trust that it will work - wait till it gets to a green tick as it will say lots of worrying things during the update (deletion of shares, joining shares, moving files etc.).... ignore it and when its all finished THEN check.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

KeithRG
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, Mark! Sounds even more encouraging ("the few times for me ... it worked").

I'm on Dropbox free (but with many referrals that have considerably upped my data allocation) and am modest with my data space requirements. But I also use CrashPlan PROe, with which I can go back to my data state at any day, hour and minute (like Dropbox Pro rewind, I think). So if ever I find myself in a recovery situation in the future and by chance a Dropbox sync doesn't work out for me, I can alway fall back on a Crashplan total data restore operation. Slow, but sure and simple!

Thanks again!

KeithRG
Helpful | Level 5

Btw when I started this thread yesterday, I later tried to rename the title to make the topic a bit clearer for others to understand. Unfortunately, in doing so I seem to have inadvertently created a duplicate thread:  https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Disaster-Recovery-restoring-System-Image-amp-t... , where there is also an exchange of suggestions, with Hannah, a member of the Dropbox staff.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

KeithRG Helpful | Level 5
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?