cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk usage when syncing on Linux (Ubunto 14.04)

Disk usage when syncing on Linux (Ubunto 14.04)

guerin
Explorer | Level 4

I run dropbox on multiple devices. One of them is a Linux system running Ubuntu 14.04, 32 bit, and I am running into problems with dropbox syncing on that system. The issue is that my dropbox file system is aboutr 60GB, but in the process of syncing up, dropbox end-up creating over 100GB worth of cache files in .dropbox.cache/new_files. This then exceeds my current drive capacity and dropbox stops. I don't have that problem on any other system. I even did a fresh reinstall of dropbox, but to no avail. I would like to get this fixed as otherwise, Google drive will be a better multi-device option

28 Replies 28

Re: Disk usage when syncing on Linux (Ubunto 14.04)

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @guerin, that does sound a bit strange indeed!

Are you using any other third-party apps that might be accessing/backing up the files from your Dropbox folder? If so, can you try temporarily closing these processes on your device and seeing if there's any change in the behaviour?

Would you mind sharing an example name of one of the cached files from within the cache folder?

Also, can you just let me know which version of the desktop app you're running on your device?

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @guerin,

How many files you are trying sync? If they are more than available disk space...!? Try sync only needed, using Selective Sync, for example. :wink:

Hope this gives some direction.

guerin
Explorer | Level 4

I have a total of 157651 files and they take up 59.1GB.  There is more than sufficient disk space to accommodate them.  The problem is that dropb keeps building ~4GB cache files even though it seems to have synced up all the data files, and this continues until I run out of disk space...  I did a full reinstall just in case something had been corrupted in my dropbox install, but the problem persisted.  Selecttive Sync is not a solution, as I want all those files to be synced.

Здравко

Wow.. @guerin, very close to the "border"!

Take in mind that, as a result of some rounding, it's very easy to cross this border. :wink: Have you considered new HD (little bit bigger)?... or may be extending particular partition, if applicable for your system.

guerin
Explorer | Level 4

I am not running any thrid party app that is trying to access or backup those files.

The problem seems to be squarely with dropbox in that it keeps building ~4GB cache files even though it seems to have synced up all the data files, and this continues until I run out of disk space...

Dropbox desktop is nautilus-dropbox 1.6.1.1.

And here is a link to one of the cache files created by dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rzjo81u4e11iahr/a16e385fb818261ff19f2b8984361998?dl=0

Thanks

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us with that info @guerin!

If that's the version of Nautilus that you're running, it seems to be an older version. Our system requirements would need Nautilus 3.10.1 or higher for the desktop app.

Would you mind checking that you're running the correct system requirements for me from here please?

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Здравко

@Daphne,

Nautilus version (or existence) isn't related in any way to the daemon work (including the cache)! It's work is to manage files appearance while browsing (including menus), nothing more.

If everything is in sync ".dropbox.cache" should contains only empty subfolders. Or at most something left from last sync step. There is always need some space for cache (at least as much as biggest file you have to sync).

guerin
Explorer | Level 4

Just checked my system requirements.

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 (32 bit), glibc-2.19.1, I had downloaded what I thought the latest dropbox app from the dropbox site, my file system type is ext4.

I'm happy to run the headless version of the app if that makes things easier.

Thanks

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking that @guerin!

It's always good practice to keep everything up to date, so while it might not be relevant it's still important to ensure everything is running as it should be.

Just so I can clarify where we're at, all your files are currently synced so is your desktop app reporting that it's "Up to date"?

If the app is indeed "Up to date", if you manually clear the cache folder, does this repopulate with files?

Keep me posted - thanks!

PS. You don't need to change to the headless version, don't worry about it. :grin:

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

counterpoint Helpful | Level 5
    estevejuliamelis New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropboxer
    bpcb New member | Level 2
    PAJ2k20 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?