cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display a link or an URL in a post in a forum

Display a link or an URL in a post in a forum

Gerard D.6
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

In a technical forum, I want to give access to a sample file via a link or a URL in the forum post.

How can I do that with Dropbox?

Thanks for your help

4 Replies 4

Re: Display a link or an URL in a post in a forum

Rich
Super User II

A share link with ?dl=0 at the end will open in the preview page. This is the default behavior of a share link.

A share link with ?dl=1 at the end will force your browser to download the file. Either the browser will immediately start the download, or it will prompt the user to download the file.

A share link with ?raw=1 at the end will tell your browser to handle the file as it sees fit; either display in the browser, open in a configured application, or present it for download. Using this option you can display, for instance, an inline image in a forum post.

Examples using an animated GIF file:

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

As you write there is a side-ways infinity sign <link>. Click that and you can enter a link.

(Caution: if the link is to something that might 'go viral' don't use it!)

Gerard D.6
Explorer | Level 3

Sorry, but I'm a very beginner.

How can I share a Dropbox folder with "anybody" while Dropbox demands a user with a specific email?

When the file is in this shared folder, how can I retrieve its URL?

Thanks again

Rich
Super User II

How can I share a Dropbox folder with "anybody" while Dropbox demands a user with a specific email?

A shared folder (where the people you invite can also edit the files within it) requires a Dropbox account. This is why a specific email address is needed. If you want to share a file or folder with anyone that has the link to it, where they would be able to view and/or download the content, you want to use a share link. A Dropbox account is not required for a share link. You can simply copy the link to the folder and post it wherever you want. Be mindful of the limits associated with share links.

When the file is in this shared folder, how can I retrieve its URL?

A file does not have to be in a shared folder to generate a link to it. You can create a share link to any file in your account. Review the links I posted above to see the differences, and how to create the links. Reply back if you have further questions.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Gerard D.6 Explorer | Level 3
    Rick M. Experienced Collaborator | Level 13
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?