Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Do I need to wait for the app to finish syncing before wiping and updating my device?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi! I am currently needing to wipe my laptop and do an update on it to Windows 10. So, I moved all of my pictures over to my Dropbox a little while ago. My dropbox icon(down by the clock) has a little blue circle with arrows on it. When you hover over it, it says "indexing 'x' amount" and "uploading 'x' amount". Do i need to wait until this is done and not indexing/uploading anymore before I do my wipe and update? 

I DO NOT want to lose my pictures. So, I wasn't sure if I needed to wait or if it is safe to go ahead with the wipe/update. Thanks!

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Indexing/Syncing Photos

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @kbl16, I hope you're well today!

You'll need to allow the app to finish uploading the files to your account before wiping the data from your computer.

Since the app is still uploading the content, you'll need to wait until the app is showing "Up to date" in the sync status.

I can suggest checking that the uploading bandwidth isn't limited if you need to speed this up a little bit.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?