cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Document scanning on iOS doesn't allow you to search for a folder to save the scan

Helpful | Level 5

After hitting the plus in the app, scanning the doc, then selecting "next", the save locations offered are limited, so to save to another location, one must select "choose a different folder" which puts the user looking at the files and folders in order of most recent first. The list includes non folder and folder items. This step is almost always frustrating for me, as I would like to quickly select the relevant folder for my own organization.

I would prefer to be able to do one or both of the following: 1) search for the folder name at that point and select from the search results or 2) have a list of favorite folders that I select, which could include something like "to be assigned a folder" or something like that. I would far prefer the first option to the second.

Any ideas on how to get the scanned doc into the right folder quickly without having to do another second step? 

See screenshots; second one below is the frustration. 

dropbox Screenshot 2018-04-24 12.20.59.pngdropbox 2 Image-1.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: iOs iphone - doc scanning - "choose a different folder" is limited to...

Helpful | Level 5

@I found a solution. To answer @David Z.6 first, though, who asked: 

@DavidZ wrote:

@whitacek, what version of the iOS app are you using, and are you scrolled all the way to the top of the folder chooser (your second screenshot)? 

I could neither find my app version, nor could I see the folder selector at the top of the screen that I think you mean, but Dropbox support provided two solutions, the simplest of which is to select the desired folder before hitting the "+" in the app.  Thanks again. This is quite a relief. See her note below: 

Kendra from Dropbox on 4/24/2018:

Once you click on 'next', as you mentioned it presents you with a list of your folders; At the top, it also includes a Search tool so you can easily search for the folder you need.

Additionally, if there is a folder you often use, you can 'set location' to that one so it will show up automatically on the page after you click next. 

To set the location please follow these steps:

• Open the Dropbox app on your iOS device.
  • Tap "+" (plus).
  • Choose Scan Document.
    • Take a picture of content you want to transform into a document.

• Click Next
  • Click Choose a Different folder
  • Click on the folder you want and click on Set Location from the bottom right

This folder will then appear on the Save Settings page each time you save a new scan, 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi whitacek, welcome to Dropbox Community!

Currently this request is not possible, however, I will make sure your comments are passed along to our development team. 

Let me know if there’s anything further I can help with!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

@whitacek, what version of the iOS app are you using, and are you scrolled all the way to the top of the folder chooser (your second screenshot)? When I go to this screen, there is a search bar at the top and a sort selector to the left of the search bar to switch between sorting modes.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

@I found a solution. To answer @David Z.6 first, though, who asked: 

@DavidZ wrote:

@whitacek, what version of the iOS app are you using, and are you scrolled all the way to the top of the folder chooser (your second screenshot)? 

I could neither find my app version, nor could I see the folder selector at the top of the screen that I think you mean, but Dropbox support provided two solutions, the simplest of which is to select the desired folder before hitting the "+" in the app.  Thanks again. This is quite a relief. See her note below: 

Kendra from Dropbox on 4/24/2018:

Once you click on 'next', as you mentioned it presents you with a list of your folders; At the top, it also includes a Search tool so you can easily search for the folder you need.

Additionally, if there is a folder you often use, you can 'set location' to that one so it will show up automatically on the page after you click next. 

To set the location please follow these steps:

• Open the Dropbox app on your iOS device.
  • Tap "+" (plus).
  • Choose Scan Document.
    • Take a picture of content you want to transform into a document.

• Click Next
  • Click Choose a Different folder
  • Click on the folder you want and click on Set Location from the bottom right

This folder will then appear on the Save Settings page each time you save a new scan, 

View solution in original post

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?