cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Dropbox Update Files?

Does Dropbox Update Files?

John C.113
New member | Level 1

Is a file which has been uploaded to Dropbox modified when the file is updated on the master computer?
I have uploaded a file to a Dropbox folder then later I modified the File on my main computer but the change has not been implemented to the File in Dropbox.
Have I a problem or after I modify a File do I have to reload it to Dropbox?

25 Replies 25

Re: Does Dropbox Update Files?

Rich
Super User II

That depends on where the file is located on your computer. If you have the Dropbox client installed and running and the file exists in the Dropbox folder on your computer, then any changes to it will be uploaded automatically. If the file exists outside of the Dropbox folder, then you need to upload it to Dropbox yourself.

John C.113
New member | Level 1

Rich.,
To clarify, the file is on my main computer, but I have also added it, ie uploaded it to Dropbox which I have installed on the computer.
Since doing this I have modified the file, which is an Open Office document, on my main computer, but the modification has not gone through to the version of the document stored in Dropbox.
Is this the normal operation of Dropbox, meaning that I have to reload the new version of the document to Dropbox?

Rich
Super User II

Is this the normal operation of Dropbox, meaning that I have to reload the new version of the document to Dropbox?

If you do not have the Dropbox client installed on your computer, then yes, that's the normal operation. Without the client installed, Dropbox has no connection to the files on your computer. Install the Dropbox client and it will create a Dropbox folder on your computer. Anything you place in that folder will sync to your Dropbox account online automatically.

John C.113
New member | Level 1

Rich.,
But I have got Dropbox installed.
I can sign into it, I can load files from my computer to it,
But when I update the files on the Computer they are not updated on the Dropbox version of the files.
So what is the problem?

Rich
Super User II

Are you editing the files that are located INSIDE the Dropbox folder on your computer? Dropbox will only sync files that are located inside the Dropbox folder. This is the folder that is created when the Dropbox client is installed.

John C.113
New member | Level 1

Yes, I'm modifying the file that sits inside the Dropbox Folder.
The modification shows on the File in that Folder.
But the modification to the File does not show on the File that is within my "C" drive on the computer.
Is this how Dropbox is supposed to function?

John C.113
New member | Level 1

Any answer would help, just want to know if this is the method that Dropbox works or if something has gone wrong.

John C.113
New member | Level 1

Not wishing to be pushy or ungrateful but I still have this problem in that I have loaded a file to Dropbox & also retained it on my "C" Drive.
I then modified the file within Dropbox & I expected the modification to be carried across to the file on my "C" Drive.
This has not been carried out.
So what am I doing wrong?
Or does Dropbox not do this?
I am now off line for a few days but an answer or two would be most helpful.
Thanks

John C.113
New member | Level 1

Please!
Is it possible that I could have a answer to my question.
I am not able to use Dropbox due to this problem.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Joe D.10 New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
    Carole C.8 New member | Level 2
    Jean S.12 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?