cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does dbxsvc.exe in Windows System32 folder actually belong to Dropbox program?

Does dbxsvc.exe in Windows System32 folder actually belong to Dropbox program?

Taffelzips
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, I'm running Dropbox on Windows 10 and everything is basically working fine. Some time ago I noticed a new service called "Dbxsvc" running on my computer. It runs from a file named dbxsvc.exe in my Windows System32 folder.

Is this some kind of malware or some new part of the Dropbox program?

I know there are two other dbxsvc.exe files on my computer. They are in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\driver_amd64\dbxsvc.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\driver_x86\dbxsvc.exe

They seems legitimate. But this third one in System32 is the one running the "Dbxsvc" service.

I've managed to shut down and delete the service and then delete the file itself. Dropbox still works just fine.

The thing is, this file reappears randomly.

So should I leave it or be worried about it?

No other strange behavior on my pc and Windows Defender doesn't seem to have a problem with this file.

If anyone can help, thanks!

26 Replies 26

SChalice
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Edward Snowden has warned against the cloud storage service Dropbox which he says is "hostile to privacy".

Snowden pointed out that Dropbox had appointed former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to its board in April 2014.

"Dropbox is a targeted you know wannabe PRISM partner," he told the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jul/17/edward-snowden-dropbox-privacy-spideroak

According to Edward Snowden, people who care about their privacy should stay away from popular consumer Internet services like Dropbox.

Condoleezza Rice advocates illegal NSA surveillance

http://www.drop-dropbox.com/surveillance.html

Dropbox may be reading your stored documents. This revelation arrives by way of WNC InfoSec who claim that several ".doc" files had been opened on... in a recent test using HoneyDocs. Dropbox reportedly states that this is normal behavior for the storage company.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/dropbox-libreoffice-honeydocs-amazon-ec2-amazon-s3,news-17549.html

SChalice
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Is that legal, these days?

It is not illegal. Good luck suing Dropbox for invasion of privacy when you were the one installing it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy_laws_of_the_United_States

Roger P.16
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@SChalice wrote:

Roger, are you suggesting that DropBox still functions properly even without dbxsvc?

Yes, exactly that - although the desktop app may start the dbxcvc service, it doesn't need to be running otherwise.

Ilrizzo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm seeing the same issue with DBXSRV service. Its leaving a log every second in the event viewer.

tsunomurxps13
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My Windows 10(1703) PC is happening same problem.

Following log is recorded to "Application" log each 1 second:

Failed to connect to the driver: -2147024894, retrying in 1000 milliseconds

I have reinstall latest DropBox but didn't resolved.

So I have uninstalled from my PC.

Garrett
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

How many of those who posted on this issue have encrypted drives? I do. Just curious. This problem is getting near a year old. The recent uptick of errors in the event viewer is severe, but it's not new for sure.

Encrypted? Not Encrypted?

maxius2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

maybe do system32\regsvr32  c:/windows/system32/DbxSvc.exe to assign this as the dropbox file to use again

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

maxius2 New member | Level 2
    Garrett Helpful | Level 6
    tsunomurxps13 New member | Level 2
    Ilrizzo New member | Level 2
    Roger P.16 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?