cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download Dropbox on MacBook using a different email

Download Dropbox on MacBook using a different email

JR57
Explorer | Level 3

I Downloaded Dropbox on MacBook using a different email and now I do not see my old Dropbox icon on Finder, or my old files?

3 Replies 3

Re: Download Dropbox on MacBook using a different email

Elixir
Super User

Hello @JR57, (1) Click the Dropbox icon on the menubar > (2) Click the Account/Profile dropdown menu and (3) check the email address. If it is not the correct address then (4) choose the Preferences... and go to Account tab. There you can Unlink This Dropbox... and then Dropbox will prompt you to login again. Then you can loging using the desired email/dropbox account. 

2020-01-01 at 1.12 PM .png

JR57
Explorer | Level 3

Very helpful thank you.

Now I need to learn how to transfer all my files and folders from my old email Dropbox to the new one? 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Elixir
Super User

One option is manually downloding files and folders from one account and upload to the new account. But if you have lot of data, then it is certainly not the way.

In that case, another option could be (1) login to https://www.dropbox.com/home using your old email, and (2) share the folders with your new account/email. 

2020-01-02 at 10.42 PM .png

If you intend to keep your old account, (3) you can just share using email. 

2020-01-02 at 10.44 PM .png

If you do not wish to keep your old account, you can go make the account with new account as owner. 

2020-01-02 at 10.50 PM .png

Later login using your new account > accept the share > go to folder > again click share button > click the cogwheel/settings button (7) and Unshare folder

2020-01-02 at 10.56 PM .png

Optionally, you could create sharing links (4) of files and folders from our old account. Copy the links, log out from old account. Login using new email > visit those shared links. Now, on the right upper corner of your browser window you see a Download button, click the drop-down menu and you will find option to Save to my Dropbox.

2020-01-02 at 11.01 PM .png

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?