cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download & upload speeds are extremely slow

Download & upload speeds are extremely slow

enesates
Explorer | Level 4

Hi guys!

I have a problem with syncing. My Dropbox download and upload speeds have been extremely slow for almost a week. I tried different computers and also different internet connections but results have been always the same. 

I found some solutions that I saw Dropbox Community. I did unlink and relink my computer and change bandwidth settings but they were not successful.

I'll be waiting for your advice, thanks!

54 Replies 54

Re: Download & upload speeds are extremely slow

Roelb
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, I have excactly the saem problem, takes forever to upload pics to DP. Never had this problem with the old DP.

using a Note 9 and mac.

Alos tried to change band width etc

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @enesates and @Roelb, I hope you're both well today!

If you've already checked your bandwidth settings for the desktop app are not limited, then I can suggest restarting your Internet router to see if that helps with the speed at all.

It could be that the ISP throttles sustained connections, in this case you would initially see a high syncing speed followed by a dip. Is this the case for you both?

Let me know what you find and we can go from there - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

enesates
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne, thank you! Hope you are doing well too.

Yes, I've already checked my bandwidth settings and unlink, re-link my computer but sadly, It doesn't change anything.

Actually, I think that too the problem was about ISP because like you said I'm highly using Dropbox every day but ISP said there was no problem from their side. After my call with ISP, I tried different internet connections and It didn't help with this problem even I tried 4G.

I'm waiting for help from you. My Dropbox client's version is v87.4.138 and my computer is Macbook Pro 13". Maybe the cause of the problem would be the version of the client? Could I downgrade the client? If the answer is yes, how could I do that?

Thanks!

Sync is incredibly slow, orders of magnitude less than connection

Dive-Dive-Dive
Helpful | Level 6

Hello! Pro account holder here.

As you can see in my attached screenshot, Dropbox download performance is absolutely abysmal.

Process: I have uploaded ~70GB of files while on my workstation in Denver, and am now attempting to download them near Connecticut (in case there is a known CDN issue).

Problem: My connection download speed is 180~270 Mb/s, as shown in the screenshot, and yet Dropbox is downloading at a maximum of 4 Mb/s

Troubleshooting steps:

- Using the native app to download/sync files. Not upload.

- Double-checked my Network rate settings

- Restarted the system & checked CPU, GPU, and RAM load (nothing much above idle)

- Tested download and upload via two speedtests (shown, 180~270 Mb/s), and multiple YouTube 4k streams (not shown). Tested upload with Google Drive and VirusTotal (both were able to saturate upload).

- Checked switch, VLAN, and M&C -- no abnormal network activity in my LAN noted.

- Checked Firewall -- all Dropbox traffic passing fine

Performance is two orders of magnitude below my connection capacity, and I'm reaching out for help to see if:

1) If there is a CDN/PoP issue affecting Pro users, and how soon I can expect a resolution.

2) If uploading my data while on the west coast somehow means that my data was only stored on a datacenter out there, and not propagated globally (with a saturated backhaul then giving poor performance when cross-country?)

3) Any logs or other system settings/.plists to check.

4) The process for compensation and/or refund if this isn't resolved, as several project deadlines will be unsustainable in the long run with this poor level of service.

Thanks in advance for any help, Dropbox staff and/or fellow overworked admins. At my wits-end over here. Let me know if I should move this to a different category.

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 11.19.54 PM.jpg

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @enesates!

I wouldn't recommend using a previous version of the client, as the latest version has the most recent security enhancements.

Uploading data via the desktop app includes more than just data transfer, as each file is divided and compressed into hashed components. Then, transferred via secure data transfer and encrypted and stored on our servers.

So the syncing speed that you see from the desktop app also includes this process too. The transfer speeds also depend on how quickly your computer can process the data.

In this case, having many other apps running on your device might affect how quickly the data can be processed for uploading.

If you reduce the amount of other apps running on your device, do you notice any difference in the upload speeds?

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @Dive-Dive-Dive, I just found your post in our spam filter!

It seems it was mistakenly caught up due to the length. But not to worry, I've merged it here as you described the same issue as the OP here.

Since you've already covered the majority of troubleshooting there (awesome job by the way 🤩), can you just check my post here and let me know if this helps?

I'll be looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Dive-Dive-Dive
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you Daphne, I appreciate both merging my post, as well as fixing the spam tag.

I've gone ahead and tried a different connection, as well as tunneled through a VPN to a different site with a different ISP, just in case there's any sort of service throttling going on.

Additionally, I attempted to download a completely different fileset, modified (also in Denver) just days ago instead of a month ago (in case this affects troubleshooting for cold -vs- warm backend storage?).

To summarize, I'm getting the same performance: 500~600 KB/s (4.0~4.8 Mb/s) down, on a 300 Mb/s connection (which I've verified through more speedtests just now through two services)

What can I do next to help out with this?

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 9.24.10 AM.png

Dive-Dive-Dive
Helpful | Level 6

Another update (from my post an hour or two ago).

Went to a friend's house, with gigabit FIOS, and did see an increase of performance.

That said, a serious issue: the indicated bandwidth is still *very* different from the bandwith used by the process.

This may be related to our ongoing issues, so including it here.

See attached screenshot 🙂

And yes -- I've verified that no other system services or apps are using any substantial data, up or down!

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 11.57.15 AM.png

Dive-Dive-Dive
Helpful | Level 6

@Daphne  - my third update/reply;

I've tried everything from the last two posts, as well as a new-in-box 8-core 32GB DDR4 macOS machine (not used before) on a symmetric-gigabit connection. No Dropbox daemon up/down limit, same as before. Connection speed verified to be gigabit per before. No odd LAN traffic. No firewall restrictions or port-blocks. UPnP reporting normal.

Same story. Terrible performance. See screenshot for details.

Being that I've verified this on three seperate machines, on three different internet connections (and different LAN environments with no firewall restrictions), with all limits disabled, I would like to escalate this to engineering / L3+ support.

Looking forward to a rapid resolution, and thanks again for your time and expertise.

Screenshot 2019-12-28 14.56.45.png

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?