cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download failed. The file was restricted by the remote server because it contains illegal content.

Download failed. The file was restricted by the remote server because it contains illegal content.

MidasTouch
Helpful | Level 5

Dear Community,

I am struggeling to sync Dropbox files to a NAS. One thing I discovered is an error message genretade by the Synology Nas sync client Cloud Sync which reads "Download failed. The file was restricted by the remote server because it contains illegal content".

This troubles me in two ways. One, is Dropbox spying on me here? Two, the error is false! The file I want to sync is an .exe file of an open source software. I keep it because I want to install it on several computers. There is nothing wrong with having this file in my dropbox.

Lastly, of course, it could also be an error on the sync software. Has anyone encountered this and found a way to handle this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Download failed. The file was restricted by the remote server because it contains illegal con...

Jay
Dropboxer

The Dropbox desktop application checks for any changes to files, and syncs those changes. As to other apps, they use the Dropbox API to connect to the service to sync.

If this isn't happening, then that developer needs to investigate further on their end.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Re: Download failed. The file was restricted by the remote server because it contains illegal con...

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @MidasTouch, thanks for messaging the Community!

I'm sorry to hear about this. Are you able to upload the file manually to the Dropbox site? If so, then there might be an issue with the Synology app which is generating the error.

Have you tried updating their app? Could you try contacting the developers to see if they can assist on this matter?

Keep me posted!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MidasTouch
Helpful | Level 5

Hello Jay,

thank you for your reply and thoughts. The app is up to date. Since Cloud Sync is quite unreliable, overall, I will likely look for an alternative solution.

Can you point me towards some information regarding how/if Dropbox analyses my files?

Best,

Richard

Jay
Dropboxer

The Dropbox desktop application checks for any changes to files, and syncs those changes. As to other apps, they use the Dropbox API to connect to the service to sync.

If this isn't happening, then that developer needs to investigate further on their end.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

indianafones
New member | Level 2

I'm having exactly the same issue with CloudSync on a Synology NAS. Never had the problem til recently and it now happens on tons of files. AFAIK the cloudsync app has not been updated recently.

PLEASE CAN YOU CONFIRM THAT DROPBOX IS NOT SCANNING MY FILES AS THE ERROR MESSAGE SUGGESTS YOU READ ALL FILES?

I'm also having an issue where I have created a couple of subfolders to a project directory and shifted files into them on the dropbox web app. But CloudSync has not reflected these directory changes. They are happening within a shared folder that has also been marked as a Request Files directory.

I'm going to experiment with the windows desktop dropbox client but I stopped using that because it was always hogging my CPU even when I restricted the listed of sync'd folders to a subset.

Stewart I.
Helpful | Level 5

Im having the same trouble the vast majority of the files are no where near being illegal.  They are binaries for install from open source projects or images used in webpages such as spacer.gif (which is literally in image with nothing in it).   What concerns me is that most of the sync apps are probably just quietly failing on this so we think we are getting a full copy of our files but arent. 

I'd like to know 

1. Are you spying on the files (like the OP pointed out) 

2. Are all the other apps quietly failing and we are getting incomplete copies of our files? 

MidasTouch
Helpful | Level 5

I am afraid the answer to both questions is likely to be "yes". That is why I am looking for alternatives to Dropbox, now; however, I have no reason to believe that other services are any different....

Best,

Richard

davidstosik
Helpful | Level 5

I have started to observe the same problem on my Synology NAS. I have CloudSync setup to download a complete copy of my Dropbox repository, and a dozen files (out of thousands) consistently fail to download with the following error message: "Download failed. The file was restricted by the remote server because it contains illegal content."

Some of those files are really puzzling, I don't see why stuff such as `handlebars.js`, jquery-1.8.0.min.js` or `busybox.exe` would get blocked because it's "illegal".

To understand if the problem comes from Dropbox, I went to the Dropbox "Selective Sync" settings on my Mac, to select the folder of one of the files that trigger the error message above on my NAS. The file downloaded with no issue, so I would conclude that Dropbox may not be the culprit. This might be a problem from the Synology CloudSync software, and the word "illegal" could have plenty of meanings. (For example, a file name containing invalid characters is often qualified as "illegal name".)

CloudSync's release notes show quite a few bug fixes related to Dropbox in recent releases, so it might be reasonable to believe that things aren't perfect yet.

• Fixed the issue where files with file names containing invalid characters could not be synced to Dropbox.
  • Fixed the issue where syncing files with Dropbox might be slow when the file name contains "%" or "_".
  • Fixed the issue where files on Dropbox could not be downloaded if the file size remains the same after file modification.
  • Updated the Dropbox API.

It may be worth getting in touch with Synology too...

davidstosik
Helpful | Level 5

I have been in touch with Synology's support, which were very quick in helping me out and figuring out what is going on.

Here is a quote of their latest reply:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for uploading the logs to our file server.

I confirmed the issue still occurred with the errors as below. 

Dec 25 09:33:48 [ERROR] dropbox-client-handler.cpp(798): Failed to download file (/My Mac ([REDACTED].local)/Downloads/[REDACTED].zip)({"error_summary": "path/restricted_content/", "error": {".tag": "path", "path": {".tag": "restricted_content"}}})
Dec 25 09:33:48 [INFO] worker.cpp(740): Erase resume info (other). [1|1|/My Mac ([REDACTED].local)/Downloads/[REDACTED].zip]
Dec 25 09:33:48 [ERROR] worker.cpp(2285): Worker (13): Failed to RunDownloadRemoteProtocol (-41) '/My Mac ([REDACTED].local)/Downloads/[REDACTED].zip'.

According to Dropbox, the "restrict_content" error is expected when attempting to access files that have been restricted, e.g., due to copyright claims. 

We'd appreciate if you could ask administrator to check the files if your plan is business plan or contact the Dropbox Support to check the files if your plan is personal plan.

This raises a lot of questions, and also answers some:

1. It looks like Dropbox indeed scans the content of files uploaded by its users.
  2. Some of the files that received the "restricted_content" flag on my account 1. have never been shared with the outside world, 2. are nothing illegal (eg. jquery, busybox.exe, handlebars...). What are the rules that Dropbox applies regarding copyright claims?
  3. Do all files I upload to Dropbox get scanned?
  4. Do you compare files (or a checksum?) to a database of flagged files?
  5. How can I retrieve those files if I don't have them in any local folder at the moment?
  6. Why does it look like the official Dropbox application behaves differently from third-party clients?
  7. Will I have to contact support for each file that is incorrectly flagged as illegal in my account?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

davidstosik Helpful | Level 5
    MidasTouch Helpful | Level 5
    Stewart I. Helpful | Level 5
    indianafones New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?