cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Download option no longer available

Download option no longer available

Michael P.66
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Suddenly, the "download" option has disappeared from the page and drop-down menus. I can do anything else to my files, but there is no longer an option to download. Any thoughts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JoshK
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

When you're viewing a file on Dropbox.com that's synced to your computer by the Dropbox desktop application, you'll see an Open option instead of Download. Clicking Open will open the file on your computer and automatically sync back any changes you make. When viewing a file that isn't synced on your computer, you'll continue to see the Download option.

More information is available on our Help Center: https://www.dropbox.com/help/8571

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

Stanley T.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue, and have been for days. Hopefully there will be some sort of response here

JoshK
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

When you're viewing a file on Dropbox.com that's synced to your computer by the Dropbox desktop application, you'll see an Open option instead of Download. Clicking Open will open the file on your computer and automatically sync back any changes you make. When viewing a file that isn't synced on your computer, you'll continue to see the Download option.

More information is available on our Help Center: https://www.dropbox.com/help/8571

Michael P.66
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Some of us still WANT the download option. Angry that it's been automatically removed. Can't DB just add the Open button for those that want it, and still leave the Download option there?

JoshK
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Michael P.,

If you're seeing the Open option instead of Download then you already have the file on your computer. If you'd like a copy instead of the syncing file in your Dropbox folder, you can locate the file in your Dropbox folder and copy it to any other location on your computer.

Why would you like a non-syncing copy of the a file that you already have in the Dropbox folder on your computer?

Michael P.66
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Josh, my workflow is such that I'm working with hundreds of art files and multiple co-workers across the state, country, and world. Each project requires its own up-to-date set of files and links. It is not only far easier for me to search for the correct files on DB, it also is far easier to determine which files are the most up-to-date. (Search results on my desktop computer include far more unnecessary files to sort through.) Additionally, it makes communication (and pinpointing the correct files) easier when all co-workers are using and working from the same interface (in this case, DB). While it's not essential that I use DB for searches and downloads, it's far more efficient and it helps ensure that the proper files are being used and linked. I couldn't imagine why DB would want me to spend less time on their site, but if that's what you want...(we may even have to switch services because of this)...

JoshK
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Michael P.,

Thanks for explaining your workflow a bit. In the past when you downloaded a copy of a file from the Dropbox website, what did you next do with it?

Michael P.66
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Josh, I put the files (mainly art files) into a specific "Links" folder for that particular graphic design project. These art links are spread out across 20+ DB folders and are constantly being updated by artists. Searching and downloading via DB is far more efficient (as I said) than searching and linking to my desktop DB folders. I fully realize I can link to the various desktop DB folders, then package my native files for print where a new connect Links folder will be generated, but that, too, creates duplicate files anyway.

For the sake of argument, let's say I'm being completely ridiculous and irrational about the new "Open" button. I still fail to see why DB doesn't just add the "Download" option back in for those that want it, even if DB can't understand why their customers (I'm not alone in this) might choose to use it. Why do you have to take away one button to add another?

Michael P.66
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

In essence, the Links folder I create for each project is a time-capsule. I can't have the projects directly link to my desktop DB folders, because those automatically update when files are replaced with newer versions with the same name. I don't always want that. Sometimes, a particular project is better with previous versions of the art. And since I never know which pieces of art may or may not be updated at any given point in the future, I need to keep ALL the files on an island as it were--in their own Links folder that is NOT synced with the local DB folders. Does that make sense?

JoshK
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Michael P.,

Thank you for the additional information.

Providing both a Download option and an Open option would mean everyone would have to understand the distinction between the two and choose accordingly in order to benefit from the functionality. Overall, Download is not as good of an option as Open. Dropbox strives to seamlessly sync people's files. When a file is downloaded from the Dropbox website, what is downloaded is a static copy which does not sync. No new changes made by another person or on another device will ever sync to it and for new changes to be reflected in Dropbox the file would have to be manually uploaded. The Open option uses the synced file on the person's computer which will be kept up to date as expected.

For your specific case, you could do one of:
- After clicking "Open" you can "Save As" the file from within application which opened into another folder.
- Find the file locally on your computer. If you start your search when you are inside of the Dropbox folder, by default the results you see will be limited to the Dropbox folder.

Need more support?