cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download option no longer available

Download option no longer available

Michael P.66
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Suddenly, the "download" option has disappeared from the page and drop-down menus. I can do anything else to my files, but there is no longer an option to download. Any thoughts?

25 Replies 25

Jill G.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Open is completely useless for me, it just opens in preview. If I open the image on its own and then save to downloaded it comes in as a peep squeak of a film completely useless.  Faffing around with the 'open' function, randomly it seems to convert to download - and I've managed in 20 mins to download 1 image properly as a full resolution file.  PLEASE BRING BACK THE DOWNLOAD FUNCTION, I'm with others on this, Ridiculous!  A waste of our time.

AdamZ
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I agree, please add the DOWNLOAD button. Absolutely ridiculous not having the option.

devccs
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Ditto--it's completely ridiculous to remove the download link, it's self explanatory. What is open, I passed over it multiple times before google searching and finding this thread. I had to read through multiple posts back and forth before you explained it. I got it--the the price of my TIME was more than I wanted to spend.

By the time your users are using google to figure out your site it's already too late.

It's nice that DB syncs files but honestly, I would rather go back to the download approach and sync files on my own. I COMPLETEY agree with Michael, you are breaking my (mental) workflow and I hate to say but pissing me off.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

devccs wrote:
I would rather go back to the download approach and sync files on my own.

Then uninstall the Dropbox client (or remove local copies of folders using Selective Sync) so that the files aren't already on your computer, and the Open button will go back to a Download button.

The only reason it's an Open button is because the file is already on your computer. In order words, it doesn't need to be downloaded because it's ALREADY on your computer. Remove the file from your computer, or exit the Dropbox client so it can't communicate with the website, and the Download button returns.

mathcarol
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue. When I want to send an entire folder of files to my clients, at times I give them a link. Other times I want to send a zip file. Previously I could go directly to that folder, download the folder, which created a .zip file that contained the most updated files (and the same ones other clients received). Now I can only open the files, not send them as a collection unless I send the link. Bummer. I also would like to have both options available so I could choose whether to Open or Download or send a link or the .zip file. I loved that Dropbox could house lots of files for various clients. Now it is not quite as convenient or user friendly. Please give us back both options. Thanks!

jco3740
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have to agree with Michael here...this is extremely inconvenient for anyone who needs to maintain a file history.  

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jco3740 New member | Level 2
    mathcarol New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    devccs New member | Level 2
    AdamZ New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?