cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloaded files "disappearing" after some time (!)/ exclamation marks

Downloaded files "disappearing" after some time (!)/ exclamation marks

Tontaube
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

does anyone have a solution to this problem:

After having sucessfully downloaded some files locally on my Tablet via Dropbox, they are downloaded/instantly accessible. But: after about 24 hours, the exclamation mark appears next to them, and if I don´t have Internet connection, I cannot open them. Even with Internet connection, it takes longer to open them (than it should/ than it does if they are downloaded).

Do I have to change some settings? Is it a bug?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Downloaded files "disappearing" after some time (!)/ exclamation marks

rodrigo_dbx
Dropboxer

Hi Tontaube,

I'm sorry you're running into this. It definetely looks like a bug. As you mentioned offline folders should stay downloaded. The Yellow Exclamation doesn't necessarilly mean they're not downloaded, it means that we fail to sync the last we tried to sync the files, so they might be out of date.

I do have a question for you. After 24 hours, when the files are gone, are you still able to "Export" the file and play it?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

Android Engineer @ Dropbox

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hotpencil
New member | Level 2

Have you tested the file before the 24 h period?

make sure the files have finished downloading, own way to do so- is to turn on airplane mode, and try loading the file.

another way to verify that the application has offline files.

- go to setting/offline files

if it says  0 bytes your files might have been deleted because of a bug

Mark
Super User II
Hey

Unless you are marking them as available offline (or favourite) I believe what you are seeing is the correct behaviour - in that they are wiped from the local device.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Tontaube
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, it shows the "downloaded" symbol for a while after downloading and opens immediately. After approx. 24 hours the downloading symbol disappears and is replaced by the question mark. In both cases, the file(s) are shown to have their "expected sizes". But if  I want to open a file with the question mark, it opens significantly slower, and a loading bar appears. If I try to access a file with question marks in offline-mode, it can´t due to a network - except when I have opened it shortly before. Then the question mark still appears but I can open it. Is it fetched from cache? If so, how can I change cache-settings - and how can I make my "downloaded files" really stay downloaded? Is there a "developer code" to access cache settings?

I´ve attached a screenshot:

The first two files I had downloaded, after a while the downloaded-symbol became replaced by the question mark, and I couldn´t open them offline. If I tried to mark them again for downloading (to turn the question mark into "downloaded" - albeit for a limited while), the question mark disappears - but instead of downloading it shows them as "not synced". After I mark them for download again, they are being downloaded again - and stay so for a limited while.

The next two files I have downloaded recently (again) - so no problem here. Except that they won´t stay that way.

The next file - JSON in Python - I had downloaded, turned into an exclamation mark, accessed again while in online-mode again (delay), watched it, turned offline mode on, and can still access it. Cache?

The files after can´t access offline, even though I once had downloaded them.

I´ve enough file space available. I´ve deleted and reinstalled Dropbox. I´ve reset my Tablet to factory settings and then reinstalled it.It´s an Samsung SM T535 running Android 5.0.2. Dropbox app is 62.2.4.

P.S.

After I have reconnected to the Network right now - Sync is only on WLAN - all the files are re-syncing. Even the ones I downloaded. So the exclamation marks are disappearing and they are being "downloaded" (but without the progress in MB being shown - only the turning wheel). But I know they won´t stay downloaded!

P.P.S.

Sorry for the long post & thank you for suggestions!

Maple
Dropboxer
Hi Tontaube,

I can't see your screenshot. Can you upload it again?

Does this occur every 24 hours?

Did you change the file contents in the 24 hour period? What does the modified date on the file say? Are the files shared with anyone else?

------------------------------
iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

Tontaube
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Maple,

sorry, I must have made a mistake.

Here it is again - 170918 - along with one I just took (170919).

As you can see, the files I downloaded I again yesterday "have turned into exclamation marks". So: Yes, approximately every 24 hours.

I din´t change the content in this folder. No, they are not shared. The date is the one of the "first download".

But: I have just tried - I can access them even in offline mode! The same with the others. Maybe because of recent sync they still are "saved" in the cache?  Nope, I just cleared my cache - still accessible. So them "disappearing" from being downloaded has nothing to do with the sign.

But the problem remains: Downloaded files won´t stay downloaded.

After some searching I found this thread: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installation-and-desktop-app/iOS-dropbox-app-problem-regarding-offli...

I have some of these problems .

Bye

Michae170919.png170918.png

rodrigo_dbx
Dropboxer

Hi Tontaube,

I'm sorry you're running into this. It definetely looks like a bug. As you mentioned offline folders should stay downloaded. The Yellow Exclamation doesn't necessarilly mean they're not downloaded, it means that we fail to sync the last we tried to sync the files, so they might be out of date.

I do have a question for you. After 24 hours, when the files are gone, are you still able to "Export" the file and play it?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

Android Engineer @ Dropbox

Tontaube
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Rodrigo,

yes... So despite being "not synced" they are downloaded. And I can export them.

I can´t replicate the problem now - but it really happened; the didn´t stay downloaded! But at the moment everything seems to be fine!

Thank you for your time!

Bye

Michael

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Tontaube Explorer | Level 4
    rodrigo_dbx Dropboxer
    Maple Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?