cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading dropbox has been going on for over a week with no end in sight

Downloading dropbox has been going on for over a week with no end in sight

RN914
Explorer | Level 4

Upon downloading/installing dropbox for the 1st time, they automatically started uploading my "Documents" folder, & the downloading process has been continuing for over a week now while displaying the message "You're out of space! Upgrade now".  I had no intention of uploading my "Documents"  & the space provided by their free plan is more than enough for my purposes.  I've tried without success to find a phone number or an email address to which I could ask for aid, & tried out the "tickets" section but got zero feedback there.  If someone can help me or refer me to somewhere I can ask for help, I'd greatly appreciate it.  I've done some research & they say the easiest solution is to upgrade, but adding something further while this app is showing such virus-like trouble is frightening to say the least.  They also suggest deleting some files in order to make space & complete the uploading process, but since they tell me that deleting files on dropbox leads to deleting the same files inside your own PC as well, that would not be an option, either.  Is there any way for me to either: 1. Salvage all my data back, empty dropbox, & finish the downloading process? or 2. Salvage all my data & delete dropbox app safely?   Thank you for your help in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Downloading dropbox has been going on for over a week with no end in sight

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @RN914; thanks for using Dropbox and happy Monday!

It sounds like you somehow enabled the computer backup feature upon installing the desktop app on your computer and this put your account over its quota, thus, resulting in the message you see there.

Could you take a look at the relevant Help Center article and let me know if any of the information there helps?

Thanks!

PS: For more information on your support entitlements, you can take a look here

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @RN914; thanks for using Dropbox and happy Monday!

It sounds like you somehow enabled the computer backup feature upon installing the desktop app on your computer and this put your account over its quota, thus, resulting in the message you see there.

Could you take a look at the relevant Help Center article and let me know if any of the information there helps?

Thanks!

PS: For more information on your support entitlements, you can take a look here

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

RN914
Explorer | Level 4

Dear Walter

Thank you so much for replying/giving me advice about my situation.  You don't know how relieved I was, after spending DAYS of fret & worry!

I have followed the instructions under "Turn off computer backup" included in "the relevant Help Center article" you've lead me to, & it appears that backup has indeed been turned off.  I even found that the blue, double arrow mark on most of the files in my PC's Documents folder has disappeared.  Thank you.

However, the dropbox mark in the task bar still has the red X mark & the message is still that of "uploading in process.  Unable to synch.  You're out of space.  Upgrade now!", even after waiting for a few hours.  When I look at the Dropbox app, the Documents folder can still be found along with the double arrow mark, although the contents appear to be different from before.  I found that 1 folder is missing in my PC's Documents file while that very same file seems to be the only one still left in Dropbox's Documents.  Is this final file going be deleted from Dropbox & returned to my PC after a few more hours like the rest, or is there something else going wrong?  1 thing I can think of that might have "bugged" the "turn off backup" process is that I had had the synching put on hold at the time, & had to press the "continue synching process" button that appeared at the end.

I would be very grateful if you could be so kind as to aid me further.

RN914
Explorer | Level 4

@Walter

Dear Walter

I'm not sure if my last message got through to you because it lacked the " @"mark, so I am giving it another try.

Thank you so much for replying/giving me advice about my situation.  You don't know how relieved I was, after spending DAYS of fret & worry!

I have followed the instructions under "Turn off computer backup" included in "the relevant Help Center article" you've lead me to, & it appears that backup has indeed been turned off.  I even found that the blue, double arrow mark on most of the files in my PC's Documents folder has disappeared.  Thank you.

However, the dropbox mark in the task bar still has the red X mark & the message is still that of "uploading in process.  Unable to synch.  You're out of space.  Upgrade now!", even after waiting for hours.  When I look at the Dropbox app, the Documents folder can still be found along with the double arrow mark, although the contents appear to be different from before.  I found that 1 folder is missing in my PC's Documents file while that very same file seems to be the ones still left in Dropbox's Documents.  I also noted that a new "Dropbox's Myfile" shortcut file(?) has been added to my PC's Documents, & it seems to contains the same contents as those still listed up on Dropbox.  1 thing I can think of that might have "bugged" the "turn off backup" process is that I had had the synching put on hold at the time, & had to press the "continue synching process" button that appeared at the end.  Some research lead me to believe that all that's left for me to do to empty Dropbox is to delete the "My PC (DESKTOP) folder that still has the blue, double arrow mark, but am afraid that might lead to deleting the same files from my own PC.

I would be very grateful if you could be so kind as to aiding me further.

RN914
Explorer | Level 4

Is this working?  Am I doing this right?  Since I haven't gotten a reply  for so long, I'm getting worried that I'm doing something wrong...    How about if I add this @RN914

What is the My PC(DESKTOP) folder in Dropbox after installing/uploading? Should I delete it?

RN914
Explorer | Level 4

I recently installed/uploaded Dropbox for the first time, & found several items already present from the start.  "Get started with Dropbox Paper", "Get started with Dropbox pdf" & "My PC(DESKTOP)".   I would guess that the first 2 are tutorials & don't require deleting, but could the last one be a "bug" that needs to be deleted? 

When I initially installed/uploaded Dropbox, my PC's Documents Folder was mistakenly uploaded onto Dropbox, leading to an overload of data.  I then got some advice & succeeded in stopping the "Back Up" process, retrieving my data back into my own PC, deleting the unwanted duplicated data in Dropbox, & (mostly) emptying Dropbox.  However, the My PC(DESKTOP) file containing a nearly empty Documents File (It contains a "PC file link"?) is still remaining, & in my PC's Documents file, a "PC's Dropbox file" newly appeared.  I am lead to believe that these 2 are the end results of the unexpected "Back Up" process & needs to be deleted in order to avoid future mishaps but am not sure if it would be safe to just delete them since there's a possibility that they are in fact a necessary/default part of Dropbox.

If I can have someone tell me if I should leave the above 2 items alone or delete them, I would grately appreciate it. 

PS  My questions keep getting deleted.  Why is that?

Re: What is the My PC(DESKTOP) folder in Dropbox after installing/uploading? Should I delete it?

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi again @RN914; I'm sorry for the late reply.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, could you please post a screenshot of the options you get when you right click on those items? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Re: What is the My PC(DESKTOP) folder in Dropbox after installing/uploading? Should I delete it?

RN914
Explorer | Level 4

@Walter 

Dear Walter

Thank you so much for your reply!  Your ealier advice really helped me, & I thank you for that as well.  Since I am new to this "community" system, I thought I wasn't going to get any more responses because I was probably doing something wrong (That's why I put up new questions as they popped up, but those, though I got an answer to 1 of them, just kept getting deleted.   And the latest one got redirected/added onto this first question.  It's very confusing!).

Anyways, I will try to post the screenshot.  However, because my PC is in Japanese, you might not find it very helpful.  I'm very sorry.

I hope I can still get everything straightened out  so that I can start studying & using Dropbox soon.

201204_0304~01.jpg

Rough translation:

Open with new tab, Opne with new window, Open with secret window, Name & save link destination, Copy link address, Verification

RN914
Explorer | Level 4

@Walter

Dear Walter

I am again not sure if I am doing things right, but I wanted to tell you that the person who answered my second question got back to me & answered my question about the safety of deleting the My PC(Documents) folder along with the shortcuts.  I successfully deleted everything & all seems well.  It seems my long ordeal of downloading/setting up Dropbox has finally come to an end, thanks to both of you.

Again, I am extremely grateful for your help.  Sorry if I caused you any trouble by posting questions & getting answers from someone else.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?