cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drobox desktop app is broken for me on Win 10 and starting a few days ago now Broken on Win 7

Highlighted

Drobox desktop app is broken for me on Win 10 and starting a few days ago now Broken on Win 7

Explorer | Level 3

There 272 GB (292,227,862,957 bytes) of data and 654,405 Files, 62,917 Folders in my Dropbox Folder.

I know this is large number of files, I don’t care if it takes a month to sync a new computer completely or if it takes a month to re-index my files. But if the Desktop app can’t stably run, this is never going to happen, so it doesn’t matter how long it takes. . Please don’t tell me to use selective sync because that means to me your product went from working to broken. I have not added a lot of files lately. Every single computer I have the app running on has at minimum of 32 GB ram, i7 or Xeon processors, and TB’s of HD/SSD storage.  Win7, Win10 Broken app Version 88.4.172

Dropbox app (not sure of version, it will be a couple days before I can get the version, different location) is also running without error on Win 8.1 and Ubuntu 18.04 (Ubuntu is the primary reason I use Dropbox and if this issue is unresolved I will have to go to another file sync product)

I spent more time than I would have liked trying to get the Desktop app on Win 10 to work, I have detailed system monitor logs using some diagnostic tools. I have basically given up on making it work on Windows 10.

I installed some windows updates Tuesday 1/21/2020 ’ish

Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Version 1.307.2707.0)

2020-01 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2, 4.8 for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB4535102)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - January 2020 (KB890830)

Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Version 1.307.2728.0)

Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB915597 (Version 1.307.2543.0)

2020-01 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4534310)

Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB915597 (Version 1.307.2734.0)

Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB915597 (Version 1.307.2734.0)

Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Version 1.307.2786.0)

2020-01 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4536952)

Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Version 1.307.2891.0)

I have tried multiple times to run https://www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check my browsers (I.E., Edge, Firefox, and Chrome) inevitably time out as I would expect with over 650k files in the directory. I would be willing to run any PowerShell or Bash scripts to check each computers directory for invalid file types or names.  

I also deleted any .git files out of my Dropbox Directory. I don’t have any managed git repositories actually located in Dropbox. This was just from years ago when I migrated from a VPN-Network Share Solution to Dropbox.

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Drobox desktop app is broken for me on Win 10 and starting a few days ago now Broken on Win 7

Explorer | Level 3

I just realized that Dropbox is a 32 application, I think it may be running out of memory on Win 7, I think it was using well over 3GB of ram.   

UPDATE: 

It crashed on Window 7 at 2.57 GB of ram usage, I’m doubtful that’s the problem

Highlighted

Re: Drobox desktop app is broken for me on Win 10 and starting a few days ago now Broken on Win 7

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for describing the situation @bStock25. Sorry to hear you are having trouble. 

High CPU can make apps crash. Please read this discussion where I analyze all factors related to high CPU usage. 

The number of files can be a problem as well. Here's article regarding Dropbox performance with more than 300,000 files synced to your computer.

Solution: To help the desktop app oparate, we need to use Selective Sync. I know you don't want to , but it is the only way to actually drop the number of local files. 

Now, since the desktop app is crashing I understand you cannot go to the syncing preferences and use Selective Sync to fix this. Because it will quite likely crash on the process. So, first let's reinstall the Dropbox desktop application and delete all your local files from the computer. This will not affect the files you have saved on the Dropbox cloud. 

Note Here is our latest stable version to download it directly from this link if you wish. 89.4.278.

Then use Selective Sync! 

Let me know how this goes and if you need help with the steps. 

Thank you

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I am sorry, because unfortunately that is an inadequate answer and means to me (I am a software developer) that Dropbox is broken. Instead of transparency as to why you are having a problem and the road map to a solution that is going to fix it on Windows 7 and Windows 10. You gave me a generic response that litters this forum and often doesn’t solve the problem. I had a more heated response but will just put them on my blog where I document and rant about this stuff. Dropbox is no longer a viable solution anymore, I will be canceling my subscription, and closing my account.

Thank you for your time,

Ben

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Sorry you feel this way Ben @bStock25

I will be more than happy to help you further if you change your mind and try the steps offered. Most of our users have reported these steps help in similar cases that we've handled. 

Even if they don't help you, I can create a ticket and assist further. 

Thank you. Have a nice weekend. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?