cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DropBox Apps

cdesmond13
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Dropbox!

I have just signed on and created an account to try for a year for additional storage. I have used other cloud storage in the past including iCloud, OneDrive, GoogleDrive, and Box. I am liking what I see so far. I am just curious to hear from any users or experienced advocates: I am currently on Lenovo laptop running the most updated version of Windows 10 Pro. I have never liked the Microsoft store and initially downloaded Dropbox from the website as the desktop application. How do people feel about the differences/pros and cons about the desktop "app" downloaded from Dropbox.com vs. Dropbox for S Mode? Or if I would be able to utilize both depending on my needs on the same desktop? Any experience or feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you all! 🙂

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@cdesmond13 wrote:

How do people feel about the differences/pros and cons about the desktop "app" downloaded from Dropbox.com vs. Dropbox for S Mode?

The two apps are meant for different purposes. The Dropbox for S Mode app doesn't sync your files like the full desktop app does. The S Mode app is more like a mobile client; allowing you to see what's in your account and upload or download files as needed. It does not (and cannot) sync your files to a local Dropbox folder like the full desktop app does.

The S Mode app is primarily a mobile app, meant for tablets and computers that don't have an x86-based CPU.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@cdesmond13 wrote:

How do people feel about the differences/pros and cons about the desktop "app" downloaded from Dropbox.com vs. Dropbox for S Mode?

The two apps are meant for different purposes. The Dropbox for S Mode app doesn't sync your files like the full desktop app does. The S Mode app is more like a mobile client; allowing you to see what's in your account and upload or download files as needed. It does not (and cannot) sync your files to a local Dropbox folder like the full desktop app does.

The S Mode app is primarily a mobile app, meant for tablets and computers that don't have an x86-based CPU.

cdesmond13
Explorer | Level 3

That is fantastic to know. The best of both worlds. I will use both then! Why not!

Laplatacongregation
Explorer | Level 4
I think that you need to not use Dropbox. It was good when the windows app worked but now that they got rid of that it’s horrible. Dropbox moved away from usability and now expect you to work from windows file folders. It’s very clunky and basically is garbage
Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Need more support?